RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

How to Set Up 2 LAN's at Home with 2 Routers

nrf

yes, thanks for raising the dmz possibility. I generally don't have that one in my mindset as I find it "scary".

8DMT

yes, thanks for raising the dmz possibility. I generally don't have that one in my mindset as I find it "scary".

As a newbie to networking im finding many 'scary' territories =)).

Am sure following MrFixits method would work, if i knew what i was doing. 

Im thinking now to just plug everything to main router to try make it easier. 

I found a post from one of the links Joe posted above in relation to Getting Windows Server Essentials role added in Windows Server 2012 R2 and add the computers as a work group instead of joining to the domain. Maybe this would cut out the the mess of config the router/ip's/ports ect ?

link: https://tinkertry.com/windows-server-2012-essentials-fine-with-pcs-in-domain-or-workgroup

and also to get the clients working here:

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server

An idea

8DMT

wow in awe of your set up and the diagram Schoondoggy

Think its way out of my depths right now, so amazing to see what can be done with the know how, especially with a great visual reference of how its all working .

Thanks for that post...in awe

nrf

the tinkertry recipes are very good, I don't think the 'messing with the router' part comes into play unless you turn on remote access (web access or vpn.) in case you need that, server will only be able to 'mess' with it for you if you have upnp, otherwise you get to open/forward the required port(s). 

• Like 1

nrf

I run dual lans to separate the exposed (to the elements) security equipment from the rest and to keep the video traffic off to the side.

newtopo.jpg

• Like 1

Poppapete

nrf,

I like that setup. Do you have a dual NIC card in the Dell and use the onboard NIC for the 3rd?

Are they all Intel Gigabyte?

8DMT,

You should look at using a smart switch in your setup instead of 2 routers.

I am a great believer in "SkipDomainJoin" for home use. Just follow the excellent step by step instructions on Tinkytry website.

nrf

in my Sophos Dell box I have the onboard pci-e nic, plus I populated 3 PCI slots with intel NICs. Initially I had 3 gigabit nics but one died and I replaced it with an intel 10/100 'pro' nic. given the difficulty of reloading after a hardware change I am hoping the spare NIC can be targeted in place of any of the 3 active ones that might fail in the future. Or who knows, some experiment I embark on may require a third subnet :)

Poppapete

So when you put in an extra NIC card it shows up in the sophos as "eth2" Internal?

Then you can setup a bunch of rules for that interface?

EDIT:

Read the Manual.  Looks like I have to do a reinstall for Sophos to recognize a new Card!!

nrf

that's why I have a spare (eth0). should I lose one of the nics I would just go to the interface (for example lan) and assign eth0 to it. ( and move the cable of course )

Edited by nrf