RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

How to Set Up 2 LAN's at Home with 2 Routers

Joe_Miner

One of our Forum users poised a question to me that I thought was better addressed by the community so here is his situation and his questions – please help with your input:

…… purchased a Gen 8 and stuck windows server 2012 on it, the operating system is complicated but am enjoying the learning experience.

My situation

·         My isp doesn't allow me to set a static ip so i beleive i will need to go the dynamic dns route, which ill figure out later.

·         I have 1 adsl router combo provided by my ISP where everything in the house is connected to mainly via wifi. I will call this router 1.

·         I have just purchased a old Linksys modem so I can set up a test lab, having it connected to my Gen 8 Server running windows server 2012 as a domain then I want to add my Gaming PC on WIN 7 ULTIMATE and my laptop running win 7 ultimate via Ethernet to the domain - for back up , media streaming, vms, remote access.

·         All my other devices (phones/tablets) im happy for them to just connect via the wireless from router1.

Here are all the details of Router 1

BT Default Gateway: xxx.xxx.x.xxx -

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

TCP/IP

Broadband Network ID - xx.xxx.xx.xxx

Default gateway: xxx.xx.xx.xx

Primary DNS xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

Secondary DNS xxx.xx.xxx.xx

Router 2

The lan settings are as default

Router IP - Local IP address xxx.xxx.x.x

Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

DHCP- turned off.

The Linksys WRT54GL Hhas 1 internet port and 4 lan ports.

Questions:

·         I see that i need to change and set a static ip for router 2?

·         What should i change it to?

·         Should  i run a either net from 1 of the Lan ports from Router 1 to one of the Lanports in Router 2?

·         Then run another cable from lan port in Router 2 to my laptop?

·         Is this the right way to do this? I read somewhere on this forum that routers should connect to the WAN port?

Edited by Joe_Miner
no need to display IP address in post

Joe_Miner

Hi-

While I don’t have any direct experience with the set-up you’re working to design – the closest I’ve come is using an old router as an Access Point

I assume you are looking to design 2 LAN’s with one specifically designated for your S2012E (I assume you’re running Essentials since you talked about backups)

Here are some resources:

For 2012Essentials – besides the forums here at HSS check out the wealth of info at https://tinkertry.com/search?s=Server+2012+Essentials (also a huge resource for ESXi)

Home Networks & Labs:

HT106 https://theaverageguy.tv/2013/02/23/home-networking-pfsense-motorola-cable-modems-d-link-routers-and-gigabit-switches-ht106/

HT107 https://theaverageguy.tv/2013/03/02/home-networking-zyxel-pulling-network-cable-voip-engenious-eap600-poe-datashark-70025-tester-asus-rt-ac66u-plenum-cable-ht107/

HT108 https://theaverageguy.tv/2013/03/15/home-networking-windows-server-2012-essentials-lights-out-the-hp-n40l-n54l-and-the-deal-with-nasa-interns-ht108/

HT109 https://theaverageguy.tv/2013/03/22/home-networking-with-byob-podcast-start8-modern-mix-ht109/

This guy has a nice home Lab => HSS topic “your Server Infrastructure” http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6029-your-serversinfrastructure/?p=67149

Edited by Joe_Miner

nrf

can you tell us more about why you want two routers? do you have two ISPs? or do you want two distinct lan segments? something else?

Edited by nrf

jmwills

There are several routers that do this out of the box.

8DMT
Thanks guys

I only have 1 ISP , they don't allow static ip's on their routers, they provide a wireless dsl router combo box. 

The idea behind the two routers was to try create a test lab network on the 2nd router, where the 2nd router would connect the the Gen8 Server, PC and laptop by Ethernet. 

I thought the idea of playing with the settings on a second router set up as a separate network wouldn't affect the main router which already is working fine and has a great wifi signal around the house.

With my lack of knowledge I realise im way out of my depths but Im keen to learn its a fun project.

maybe the best question to start with unless Im going a roundabout way is weather i need to set up a LAN to LAN connection or a Lan to WAN connection on the second router?

anyone have a simpler way for me to set this up ? 

Edited by 8DMT

nrf

if you set up a lan-lan connection between the two routers, you aren't really doing more with the second one than using it as a switch. you would then need to turn off things like dhcp in the second router and you would not be isolating anything.

if you connect the wan port of the experimental router to the existing lan you would be getting double nat but you could pretty much do what you want with the second lan settings.

this would probably make features like remote web access or vpn in the server very complicated to set up as you have to make any ports flow all the way back to the server through the two routers.

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

8DMT

Thanks for your reply nrf

I certainly don't need anymore complications.

I will have to have a rethink then, including changing the operating system from Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, to something else thats easy to set up while providing all the functions I wanted the server for.

nrf

don't change your aspirations on my account. maybe you don't need two lan segments after all. I have my server with its domain and one client on the domain and they share the same lan with a bunch of other clients and a whs box all of which are not on the domain. but I don't use remote web access and I let my sophos do the VPN hosting.

on the other hand, if you want to play with configuring a network, figuring out how to open the ports across the two routers would be within the scope of your learning experience...

itGeeks

if you set up a lan-lan connection between the two routers, you aren't really doing more with the second one than using it as a switch. you would then need to turn off things like dhcp in the second router and you would not be isolating anything.

if you connect the wan port of the experimental router to the existing lan you would be getting double nat but you could pretty much do what you want with the second lan settings.

this would probably make features like remote web access or vpn in the server very complicated to set up as you have to make any ports flow all the way back to the server through the two routers.

Yes and no, Depends if 8DMT has access to the configurations on the ISP supplied router and if that router supports setting up a DMZ. If it does then he could put the Linksys on the DMZ and only have to do the port forwarding on one router (the Linksys) for remote access, vpn, ect. This is how I am setup and it works just fine. I had to setup my network like this because I have Fios for internet & TV and if there router is not first inline it brakes the TV service, Trust me on this one. I played with all kinds of different configurations with trying to put the FiOs router behind my Sophos and it will brake the TV service in one form or another so I stopped fighting it and just setup a DMZ for my network.

Edited by MrFixit
  • Like 1

8DMT

It seems like there are various ways to set it all up, all with their up's and downs. You both provided good examples, am glad you found work around to get it all working for your needs.

I do have access to the configs of the ISP router, I have just checked and there is a DMZ option. The ISP just doesn't allow setting a static ISP which would make life easier im guessing.

Edited by 8DMT
  • Like 1