RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD in the first bay for OS?

muscleflex

Sorry for another question (I really want to start working on my server as I've had it for a few weeks now still in the box after I took it out the first time but got overwhelmed by all the unfamiliar bios and options displayed on the screen!)

I have noted that Bays 1 & 2 are Sata III and Bays 3 & 4 are Sata II. I would think the ODD is Sata II as well so no point putting my SSD in there (or does it not matter?)

My question: Is it best to put my OS SSD in the first bay? The SSD is so light, will there be any problems if I just plugged it straight and let it hang there? The server will never get moved or touched or banged so I'm thinking the SSD should be ok?

If this is ok, can I then install drives in the rest of the bays and also another one on the ODD and I'll be using Drivepool to pool them all as 1 drive? (actually now I'm thinking - is there enough space in the ODD for a full sized HDD like a 3tb drive?)

Thanks

I'm running OS SSD in ODD bay using internal SATA II port (shows as bay 5).

I don't think there's room their for a 3.5" Disk, but I've seen other forum members mount 3.5" disks on the side if the PCIe slot is not being used.

• Like 1

Is it best to put my OS SSD in the first bay? The SSD is so light, will there be any problems if I just plugged it straight and let it hang there?

My SSD is in the first bay (soon to be moved to the ODD bay). I didn't want to leave it just hanging so I made a small wooden wedge to give it something to rest on until it moves to the top of the machine.

• Like 1

When you guys say you're moving your SSD to the ODD, will you be attaching it to the ODD's sata as well? Meaning it's using SATAII speed?