RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Loaded ESXi v6 successfully... and now for the vm/datastore...

luckyfabian

Hi chaps,

I've managed to sign into ESXi with the Vsphere Client  and have tried to create datastore but then realised... I have'nt initialised/activated the SSD that I have connected to the ODD sata port (!)

So having signed into the Array Creation Utility, I am presented with the opportunity to create the SSD with RAID 0 (see attached picture) and I am not sure whether to initialise the SSD (which will only be used for datastores/operating systems) as RAID level 0 or whether to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS on the ODD Sata port, AFAIK I cannot use a mixture of AHCI and B120i RAID for the drives...

My question is... if my intention is to create a datastore so I can load/use Win2012 Server (at first, would try/loading other OS's later), would RAID 0 be ok and what stripe / sector size should I use?

Your advice/guidance/shedding of light... always welcomed..!

Thanks in advance,

Lucky

createlogicaldrive.jpg

I currently use a Raid1 with default options for a datastore.  

the file system will be vmfs on the datastore and will make no difference as to which OS you load. --the vm's will create smaller files in the datastore (vmdk) which you can format to ntfs for win2012.

Hi Toyceli,

So are you running your raid 1 mirrored pair off the first two drives in the Microserver? The only option I'm given is raid 0 for now as I have just the ssd in the ODD Sata port connected, hence why I asked what stripe and sector size I should configure it to run raid 0 effectively... I'd still like to know what stripe and sector size to use....cheers chaps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

Yes, I'm running running 2x240GB SSD off of the B120i although not in the drive bays.  They're sitting on top in the ODD.

I just took the whatever defaults it gave me.  I'm not running sql server or anything that I would really notice the difference between stripes

Hi,

I have one SSD as RAID0 and don't remember doing anything about striping. Indeed, without 2 disks in your RAID0, I don't think striping is relevant.

Once you have your SSD seen by the ESX host, I suggest you create VMs with thin provisioned disks to get the most out of the limited SSD space.

MikeJ

ok disk initialised... need to read into creating datastores and I guess turning my install cd of win2012 into an iso and loading that....

So in a nutshell, datastores are virtual hdd's that can encompass iso's, and also provide hdd storage for installation/running of VM's? Is that a fair statement to make?

Edited by luckyfabian

ok disk initialised... need to read into creating datastores and I guess turning my install cd of win2012 into an iso and loading that....

So in a nutshell, datastores are virtual hdd's that can encompass iso's, and also provide hdd storage for installation/running of VM's? Is that a fair statement to make?

You can think of the datastore as the d: in a Windows machine and it can hold various files. The main purpose of to hold the virtual hdd called vmdk and the drive is formatted to vmfs instead of ntfs

Edited by ToyCeli22