RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
paradox

New Gen8, first server, lots of questions!

JackoUK

Manufacturers often quote 'maximum storage 12TB' based on the largest available disk size at the time. So 4 bays x 3TB = 12TB.

Disk manufacturers then double the available size to 6TB (and 10TB now I believe!) ... but manufacturers don't update their literature.

JackoUK

Instead of the ODD can I suggest you look at the Joe's thoroughly professional post on adding an SSD in the ODD bay.

A 128GB SSD can be had for a snip these days and would balance the pretty high-powered CPU and memory you are looking at.

It would also free up all 4 bays for 10TB disks ;-)

4x10 = 40TB :-)  

JackoUK

My preference (because it's all I know!) is for a Windows 7/8/10 Professional license.

I've tried all of them on old and new MicroServers with only one problem (which HP fixed via a new network driver a while back).

1. Once you get to W8 you have SMB multichannel (which means you can connect up BOTH the ports on the Gen 8 server to double network bandwidth) and Storage Spaces (if you want it).

2. Has to be the Pro version so that you can remote in to the server.

3. Windows Server Editions are too expensive for my taste ... but they do have ReFS, which I'd like for my main file server. Not on the client OS's (yet).

4. If you are largely a Windows ecosystem then you can use the Libraries feature to see and search all your server files in native application UI's.

5. A 6TB Red disk is nearly £200 here in the UK, Office 365 Personal subscription is £60 pa. So I am contemplating breaking my mirrors and backing up to OneDrive (which offers unlimited storage). Needs a solid broadband connection of course (and a level of trust in MS which some might find uncomfortable!).

• Like 2

paradox

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Not sure why you think that adding more drives wont let you see the available space..

Well I am going by the literature saying that 12TB is the maximum - it's my first NAS/RAID-anything so I just assumed maybe 12TB was the limitation of the RAID controller they are using or whatever, but as @JackoUK says it is probably just because at the time of release 6TB drives weren't available, I'm going to pick up another and test it out anyway so I'll update the post for posterity.

I know for a fact that the 6TB WD Reds work because I am running two of them now, my real question was whether the real 12GB maximum meant I couldn't install another two 6TB WD Reds, but since @JackoUK says "Manufacturers often quote 'maximum storage 12TB' based on the largest available disk size at the time. So 4 bays x 3TB = 12TB.
Disk manufacturers then double the available size to 6TB (and 10TB now I believe!) ... but manufacturers don't update their literature."

So I think that's probably the case. I'll buy another and stick it in and let you know if it works.

I'll also update when I have that USB to molex cable and let you know how it powers the Akasa heatsink fan.

Oh and regarding putting an SSD in the ODD bay, is that simply using an ODD drive like one of these?

41FAQSF8q8L.jpg

I'm not against it, is the performance increase really worth it over freenas being on that high-speed sd card?

If I were to do it, what specific drive bay would I need? And any suggested small sized / cheap SSDs?

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by paradox

JackoUK

The article I am referring to is at:

homeservershow.com/attaching-a-ssd-to-the-odd-sata-port-in-my-hp-proliant- gen8-microserver.html

If you are going FreeNAS then forget the SSD ... and indeed forget the ODD as well!

If you decide to go with a more general purpose OS then I really like the SSD rather than the ODD

- what use is an ODD these days - none to me - YMMV?

- you have a pretty punchy system: fast XEON, 16GB RAM ... why not balance it out (for general use) with an SSD which is cheaper than the HP ODD?

- having all 4 HDD bays for data is a huge plus: traditional RAID works in pairs and Storage Spaces needs the OS on a separate drive

Any old 128GB  SSD on Amazon ... about £40 ... how much was your ODD?

paradox

The article I am referring to is at:

homeservershow.com/attaching-a-ssd-to-the-odd-sata-port-in-my-hp-proliant- gen8-microserver.html

If you are going FreeNAS then forget the SSD ... and indeed forget the ODD as well!

If you decide to go with a more general purpose OS then I really like the SSD rather than the ODD

- what use is an ODD these days - none to me - YMMV?

- you have a pretty punchy system: fast XEON, 16GB RAM ... why not balance it out (for general use) with an SSD which is cheaper than the HP ODD?

- having all 4 HDD bays for data is a huge plus: traditional RAID works in pairs and Storage Spaces needs the OS on a separate drive

Any old 128GB  SSD on Amazon ... about £40 ... how much was your ODD?

Well I am using freenas on the internal SD card which is 60mb/s speed, this card

The ODD was £66.70 (link in original post on ebuyer) cheapest I could find it. It's ridiculous because it is esentially just a £10 slim DVD-RW with a proprietary cable or whatever.

I am using the internal SD card to run FreeNAS, this SD card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N98QLRQ would you say it's fast enough? I can't use the USB port (it would be the same speed anyway - usb 2.0) because I'm going to be using that for the new CPU heatsink fan.

paradox

I also saw a thread where someone picked up an assortment of these:

51Y0xIsLOSL.jpg

To just stick over random chips on the mobo, I bought a few different sizes/heights to do the same.

schoondoggy

I also saw a thread where someone picked up an assortment of these:

51Y0xIsLOSL.jpg

To just stick over random chips on the mobo, I bought a few different sizes/heights to do the same.

The Broadcom LOM chip needs one of these

paradox

The Broadcom LOM chip needs one of these

Which one is that? I just stuck them all on every visible chip on the board... nothing else to do with them and figure it couldn't hurt anything, right?

either way should make for a funny image...:

6qgBfdb.jpg

• Like 1