RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Xeon 1225v2

chilaspt

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading a lot on these forums, and have pulled the trigger on an E3 1225V2 ... yeah it's very power hungry but got it for £130 so can't complain much :)

On the otherhand, I came across this:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=7260878#!tab=oas

According to this there are Gen8 Microservers with 69Watt CPU's, I wonder if the cooling changes on these? 

Cheers!

whoops, 

you are right, I was going on the server model number that doesnt have the L in it, but under specs it does mention its an LV2 ... going to have to get some an active cooling solution then :)

So, today I installed the E3-1225v2 and have set it up for dynamic power management and the mid tier cooling profile.

Ran prime to get some temperatures, and they topped 86'C in core temp (4 cores in use - 100%) during 45m test time (max fan speed was 30% according to the ILO)

I did notice though that the power readings were always of 45watt - which isn't that bad.

I'm thinking of ways to improve cooling and airflow without making too much of a racket, and maybe I can get away with adding a couple of Thermalright MOSFET HR-09 heatpipe coolers to the stock heatsink with some good quality thermal adhesive, or adding 4 fans in push-pull configuration to the current heatsink, maybe as a last resource, change the heatsink and install an akasa K25, also changing the 120mm delta fan in the back for something quieter when on load.

Suggestions are welcome! :)

So, today I installed the E3-1225v2 and have set it up for dynamic power management and the mid tier cooling profile.

Ran prime to get some temperatures, and they topped 86'C in core temp (4 cores in use - 100%) during 45m test time (max fan speed was 30% according to the ILO)

I did notice though that the power readings were always of 45watt - which isn't that bad.

I'm thinking of ways to improve cooling and airflow without making too much of a racket, and maybe I can get away with adding a couple of Thermalright MOSFET HR-09 heatpipe coolers to the stock heatsink with some good quality thermal adhesive, or adding 4 fans in push-pull configuration to the current heatsink, maybe as a last resource, change the heatsink and install an akasa K25, also changing the 120mm delta fan in the back for something quieter when on load.

Suggestions are welcome! :)

I personally use one of these attached with a zip tie to cool my E3-1230v2 with all the bells and whistles turned on, had to mod it slightly by taking off 10mm~ from the open end to make it fit between the heatsink and the front of the case.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2141725.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xasus+vrm+fan.TRS0&_nkw=asus+vrm+fan&_sacat=0(the fans at the top of the page, and i used the more circular top version of the fan)

Edited by DIABLO

Diablo, 

What temps are you getting?

What is the CPU power consumption under 100% load?

Is it noisy?

I'm going to try on of those fans out and see :)

Diablo, 

What temps are you getting?

What is the CPU power consumption under 100% load?

Is it noisy?

I'm going to try on of those fans out and see :)

Using Prime95 small FTT's (which makes the cpu alot hotter then you would see normal 100% usage) i see it max out at 80c using realtemp to measure temperature as iLO massively under-reads the temperature.

Can't measure consumption as i have no meter but i am not worried as i have the UK model which comes with a 200w powersupply and not the 150w.

The fan is very quiet with the main fan running at 6% this fan only adds to the voice very slightly.

As i said i have the rounded top version of the fan which is just about the right size the other model they have on ebay looks to be slightly wider.

mobo.jpg

temp.PNG

Edited by DIABLO

thats a nice little cooler you found there

do you know its standard rpm if you plug it into a header on another pc it should tell you

also would be nice to see how much power the cpu is pulling with

Coretemp 1.0 RC7 (RC6 Crashes Microservers..)

Link to 1.0 RC7

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZRPkVZgHQQEacP36QejFcOQsXLxHyks5a7

I did the same sort of thing with a delta blower

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8499-on-die-cpu-temps/

I have fitted 2 speed reducers on mine to bring it down to around 2300 rpm (from 3850)

22 Mins Prime 95 stopped going up after around 13mins once the fan ramped from 9%

This was with 1 Speed Reducer (2850 RPM its about 2-3 higher at 2300 RPM)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Shonk

• 4 months later...

thats a nice little cooler you found there

do you know its standard rpm if you plug it into a header on another pc it should tell you

also would be nice to see how much power the cpu is pulling with

Coretemp 1.0 RC7 (RC6 Crashes Microservers..)

Link to 1.0 RC7

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZRPkVZgHQQEacP36QejFcOQsXLxHyks5a7

I did the same sort of thing with a delta blower

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8499-on-die-cpu-temps/

I have fitted 2 speed reducers on mine to bring it down to around 2300 rpm (from 3850)

22 Mins Prime 95 stopped going up after around 13mins once the fan ramped from 9%

This was with 1 Speed Reducer (2850 RPM its about 2-3 higher at 2300 RPM)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, I finally rebuilt using Server 2012 R2 instead of ESX for virtualization, 

These are the temp stats with stock cooling (I know, a big no-no) after 40 minutes of video encoding

CPU_Temp_1.jpg

CPU_Temp_2.jpg

CPU_Temp_3.jpg

CPU_Temp_4.jpg

I've got a 12 inch fan to replace the stock one in the back, and have seen a mod where the stock cooler was made shorter near the middle and a fan fitted in the space created... I'm thinking of doing the same with a Dremel :)

I've been keeping the server with low usage until I get the cooling sorted out, but I dont want too much noise out of it (this is why I havent made any mods yet).

I dont understand why I cant get it to use more than the 40 Watts under 100%CPU load, Suggestions are accepted :)

I suspect you'll find that fan ducting like what I made on my G8 running a 1290v2 is as effective as putting a tiny fan directly on the CPU heatsink. Making all of the air the 120mm fan shifts go across the CPU heatsink ought to make a considerable difference.