RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Salvaging an external USB drive

ServerRookie

I activated server backup to an external USB drive. There were a couple of consecutive server backup failures. So, I stopped and tried to re-activate server backup from the server Dashboard. The server (WS2012R2E) started the wizard but after a while, the wizard stalled, and this happened a couple times. I replaced the external USB drive with a new one, and the wizard succeeded, i.e. server backup is re-activated. The server is thus not to blame.

I plugged the old external USB drive in a W8.1 machine with the intention to reformat, but the drive does not even show up! (The drive does not even show up > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management) The drive is encrypted, but should it not at least show up and ask for the BitLocker password? The server did recognize it correctly as an autorun BitLocker drive and started the wizard (although the wizard eventually stalled)

I also tried to re-start the W8.1 machine with the old external USB drive plugged in and got a Driver_Power_State_Failure :o As far as I can tell, the W8.1 machine is healthy as healthy can be, it re-started normally without the old external USB drive plugged in :)

The old external USB drive is not really that old, i.e. it is less than a year old.

Any chance to revive it?

I would load the drive internally connected to a SATA port and have a look at it. The USB controllers are not good when you have trouble.

I plugged the old external USB drive in a W8.1 machine with the intention to reformat, but the drive does not even show up! (The drive does not even show up > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management) The drive is encrypted, but should it not at least show up and ask for the BitLocker password? The server did recognize it correctly as an autorun BitLocker drive and started the wizard (although the wizard eventually stalled)

I think BitLocker is only supported on Windows 8.1 Pro and Enterprise. What version of Win 8.1 were you using?

The old external USB drive is not really that old, i.e. it is less than a year old.

Any chance to revive it?

Are you trying to recover the data or just reuse the drive?

Folks, I am just trying to re-use the (relatively newish) USB drive. It shows signs of life, but it is not visible for reformatting. How do I first of all make the USB drive visible at all?

(I solved my server backup issue with a brand new USB drive. Server, server backup and clients are encrypted as discussed in the parallel 'BitLocker' thread, there are no open issues in this regard. I provided the details in the original post merely to help diagnose the 'half-dead USB drive' issue)

Diskpart should show the volume regardless of whether you see it in Disk Management or not.

Diskpart should show the volume regardless of whether you see it in Disk Management or not.

Do you post at SuperUser? :-)

http://superuser.com/questions/408809/how-to-format-a-drive-encrypted-with-bitlocker

1. Hit Win+R to open the run dialogue box and type diskpart and hit “OK” to open a black command prompt window.
  2. Type list disk to display all the disks of your computer.
  3. Type select disk n. Here n stands for the disk you want to work well.
  4. Type list partition to display all the volumes on the hard drive.
  5. Type select partition n. Here n stands for the volume you want to delete.
  6. Type delete partition override to get rid of the volume.
  7. Type exit to close the window. This will wipe all the data on the USB/Partition.
  8. Take your USB out and put it back in again.
  9. You then need to go into Computer Management > Disk Management
  10. Right click the USB/partition > Make new volume.
  11. Then follow the prompts.. Next > next > next - then your done!

This may be the best way to just wipe the disk, with diskpart:

clean
[DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.]

create partition primary
[DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.]

select partition 1
[Partition 1 is now the selected partition.]

active
[DiskPart marked the current partition as active.]

format fs=FAT32 quick    (or whatever you want)
[100 percent completed
DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.]

assign
[DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.]

exit