RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Home Network IP Address Scheme Best Practice

itGeeks

No and No, Check out the link below for the reasons I don't. I use WPA2/AES and I disable WPS & UPnP. If the wireless router does not allow me to disable these it goes back same goes for if there is no WPA2/AES only option, I am not interested in PSK for security.

5 Wi-Fi security myths you must abandon now http://www.pcworld.com/article/2052158/5-wi-fi-security-myths-you-must-abandon-now.amp.html

itGeeks

Definitely; its quite fun when with a client asking for the most secure system, explaining that its cheap to implement. They get disappointed when explain that its based on pen & paper only - no computers used  :ph34r:

Seriously, the biggest risk is the human factor - downloading random files off the net / clicking a phishing email / deleting data in error etc - are far more likely to happen than a target on their network (but obviously depends on the client!!)

I think this is the biggest issue right now; malware only needs to be lucky once; infosec needs to always be lucky all the time.

Agreed.

itGeeks

Even an airgapped network is not secure, Just ask the techs at Natanz, its all about risk/reward ratios. I have for example got my clients servers on the same subnet as the hosts they serve, now I could subnet/VLAN them off and increase security, but I then have to deal with the routing of the data, therefore I do not bother (well not yet I am working towards a hybrid VLAN implementation). the Backups however are protected and do not use SMB as there is to great a risk of something happening to them with a CryptoLocker infection

O yes CryptoLocker and lets not forget SynoLocker, Boy do I feel bad for the people that got hit with this and had no good backup plan in place. Like you I also don't use SMB for backups and I have offsite backups as well following the 3-2-1 Backup best practice. My family and friends think I need medication for the way I pound the need for backups both onsite offsite and the need for them to keep current on all the updates, What I tell them is there the ones going to need medication if they ever get hit with one of these and they have no backup. Say goodbye to all those documents/photo. People that don't follow this stuff don't thinks its real, I am here to tell everyone it is.

nrf

No and No, Check out the link below for the reasons I don't. I use WPA2/AES and I disable WPS & UPnP. If the wireless router does not allow me to disable these it goes back same goes for if there is no WPA2/AES only option, I am not interested in PSK for security.

5 Wi-Fi security myths you must abandon now http://www.pcworld.com/article/2052158/5-wi-fi-security-myths-you-must-abandon-now.amp.html

just checking which things you go for and which you don't. :)

wps is verboten in my devices and I never fell for those two 'tips' either.

I use a rule to only allow a single device to do UPNP on one subnet

my wifi password is 39 characters long

but I do use 192.168.y.x

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1