RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Home Network IP Address Scheme Best Practice

schoondoggy

Just curious on how you have set up your home networks and why. I have been fielding a lot of network questions lately:

DHCP vs fixed IP?

Do you group devices by ranges?

Reserve ranges?

Servers at high end of the range?

nrf

I use a mixture - servers and infrastructure get fixed IPs. Since some routers require reserved IPs to fall within its dhcp range and some outside I don't mess with it. I have frequently changed routers over the years and doing that keeps the process of changing cleaner

low IP range: assigned directly to main gateway/router (sophos in my current setup) and smart switches

middle IP range: for DHCP usage

high IP range: assigned directly to wireless access points, servers, cameras, and anything that gets a firewall rule

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

jmwills

I usually group IP Addressing by functionality.  I even go to the extreme of keeping domains within a range.

• Like 1

jsox

as much DHCP as possible

fixed IP where not possible

• Like 1

oj88

My IP addressing scheme using a private /24 mask:

1-10 - Server, NAS, ESXi Mgt

11-30 - IP Cameras (will soon be moved to a separate VLAN)

31-40 - Wireless Access Points and Network Printers

41-50 - IP Phones (will soon be moved to a voice VLAN)

51-220 - DHCP pool for clients (including static DHCP bindings)

221-254 - All other network elements; Routers, Switch, networked UPS, OpenVPN gateway

My test lab is on a different subnet behind a secondary router.

• Like 1

yodafett

Mine is varied but have used it for 20 years so not changing now

1 router

2 printer

3 main pc

After that odds are static pc and evens are device like NAS,ilo,rac, vhost

51-60 ip cam

21-30 network equipment ups, ap, switch

100-110 cable boxes

Dhcp is 150+

64-96 are reserved for bandwidth limiting PC and phones (wife and kid)

We're I to redo it

1-10 network equipment (router, switches, ups, printer, Nas and AP)

11-20 servers and VM host

21-30 RAC/ilo/Kvm

31-50 VMs needing static IPs

60-79 IP cameras

100-110 cable boxes

128-159 static ip desktop

161-192 dhcp for shaped or filtered traffic

194-254 dhcp

Seems extreme but 50-64 IPs seems common now in my house

• Like 2

Trig0r

Mixed.

Servers, printers, AP's, VM's, ATV's and stuff like that get statics due to certain rules etc that I have setup on the network, devices that come and go are on DHCP, so normal PC's, devices that connect via wifi and so on...

Joe_Miner

DHCP 

no

no

no

LoneWolf

Servers, switches, appliances (e.g., a NAS), and printers get a static outside the DHCP range.

At home, several of my PCs and other devices (like the Tivo) get a DHCP reservation so that I can keep them straight when using Remote Desktop or VNC.

I also usually have a general idea of what I'm going to do with my statics, for example:

.1 - .9 = Network equipment, such as my router, wireless bridge, access points

.10 - .19 = My managed switches

.20 - .29 = My server range, which would also include the HP iLO, and if I have a NAS device

.30 - .39 = My printer range

If I had VoIP or cameras, I'd have a group for each of those.  However, I might do a VLAN for each, with a static route if they needed to communicate back to a server device on the main LAN.

My DHCP range is like, .120 - .170; I'll never need that many addresses.  The first ten are DHCP reservations for devices, the rest are open.

Note, if I was doing it in a work LAN environment, I might do this for a small business, but I'd be doing it a bit different for a medium to large client.

Edited by LoneWolf

itGeeks

Just curious on how you have set up your home networks and why. I have been fielding a lot of network questions lately:

DHCP vs fixed IP?

Do you group devices by ranges?

Reserve ranges?

Servers at high end of the range?

Kevin I know this post is aged but I wanted to ad what I do, I use all static-dhcp for all my devices. I don't like to hard code anything on the devices because if I want to make a change I would need to go to each device to change the IP address so by using static-dhcp I only have to go in to the dhcp server to change the IP address for the device. I group everything as follows for home/home office/small business networks--

I need to add this later, I only hope this forum will let me edit my own post. This forum for some reason does not let me edit my own post after a period of time. Admins/MODS, Y does this happen? I can post something then several hours later I want to add/edit something I said and I cant so I have to double up on my post. I understand security and all that but security vs usability needs to be balanced better. I should always be able to go back on one of my own post and edit it.

Edited by itGEEKS