RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD in ODD Bay

chs.santhu

Hi Everyone

After going through the forum I have seen many of them installing SSD in ODD bay on Gen8 server.

Also seen the link http://homeservershow.com/attaching-a-ssd-to-the-odd-sata-port-in-my-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver.htmlhow to do which is pretty impressive.

I am going to buy SSD drive ( not decided on the brand yet either Kingston or Samsung ) soon so wondering if everyone following the same setup and what are the things I should consider?

Thank you

What other hard drives are you going to install? How are they going to be configured? What OS are you planning to run?

I have ESXi v6.0 installed placed in the internal USB 2.0.

4x2TB WD drives placed in the 4 Bay.

Now with the OS mostly ubuntu and redhat and not sure what else I am going to have at this point of time.

Any advice please? OR schoondoggy you mean to say I have to consider the things mentioned in your post ?

Any advice please? OR schoondoggy you mean to say I have to consider the things mentioned in your post ?

I am not a ESXi expert, but I like to have some really fast storage to run VM's from and something redundant for the data. For lab use, I put 2-4 SSD's in a RAID0 and 4 drives in a RAID10. For production use I would put 4 SSD in a RAID10 and 2 drives in a RAID1 or 4 drives in a RAID10. To do this on a Gen8 would require an extra RAID controller like the P222.

Thank you for your input/suggestion schoondoggy.

I did a stupid mistake (??) in buying the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD SATA MZ-7KE512BW  as the SATA port on motherboard is second generation and the SSD is SATA III.

I am still waiting for the disk but realized now  :( 

It will work fine.

It will run around 250MB/s instead of 550MB/s. Still much faster than a disk drive.

SSDs have also other parameters much better than hard drives, for example low latency or fast random access and you still take benefit of them using SATA2.

Edited by OctavianH