RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 beginner question

wasp

Hi, I have just received my Gen 8 to replace an N40L which has been my htpc/media server for the last few years.  In the old server I had an SSD as my main OS drive with 3 other sata drives storing all my media data.  I wanted to have the exact same setup with the gen 8 so first installed the ssd via the odd connector and put them in the gen 8 and put Windows 8.1 on successfully.

I then removed all my 3 data drives from the old server and fitted them but when Windows booted they weren't picked up by Windows.  I went into one of the hp utilities (not sure which one) and could see the drives there but they said unassigned next to them and I dare not change anything in there in case I lose any data.

So basically what I would like advice with is to how to get these drives all recognised in windows and not lose any data so I have it all setup as it was in the old N40.

Any advice appreciated guys.

Thanks.

Hi Wasp and Welcome to the Forums!

Apparently, you are in AHCI mode?  In that mode it is difficult to use the ODD SATA Port (Bay 5 SATA II 3Gbps Port) as a boot disk but it can be done http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-3#entry67539 

You'll find a lot of useful info at CSKenney's Gen8 Links page http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

With 3 data drives and AHCI Mode you could put your OS SSD in Bay 1 (SATA Port 1 -- SATA III 6Gps) and your three Data Drives in Bay's 2 through 4 (SATA Ports 2 thru 4 -- Port 2 is a SATA III 6Gbps port while Ports 3 & 4 are SATA II 3Gbps ports)

I have 3 drives with data on from my previous N40L server that I cannot afford to lose.  I thought I could just setup as I did my previous server and boot off the ssd and stick my data drives in the bays.

Having read the posts here I wondered if I setup a seperate array for my data drives will it wipe them ?  I currently have the ssd booting in ahci mode and my data drives are not seen in windows but they are seen in the hp utility but says they are unassigned.

Thanks.

Edited by Joe_Miner
This was cross posted -- moved it back to original Thread to prevent confusions and aid in addressing the problem more promptly -- Moderator

How are the drives set up on the N40L? RAID? Raw drives? DrivePool? Do you have your data backed up? If not backed-up I would be extraordinarily careful with moving a set of drives from one device to another if the data on them is unique (what if you drop one?). Maybe you could buy or borrow one of the inexpensive multi-terabyte external USB drives and back everything up to that before trying to move the physical drives?

I have 3 drives with data on from my previous N40L server that I cannot afford to lose.  I thought I could just setup as I did my previous server and boot off the ssd and stick my data drives in the bays.

Having read the posts here I wondered if I setup a seperate array for my data drives will it wipe them ?  I currently have the ssd booting in ahci mode and my data drives are not seen in windows but they are seen in the hp utility but says they are unassigned.

Thanks.

AHCI mode would be set up in the BIOS -- when AHCI is enabled the B120i is disabled -- what HP utility are you using?  I sounds like the Smart Storage Administrator ("SSA") which means your B120i RAID Controller is active -- if you assign those drives in the RAID Controller your data is gone

Before doing anything else -- follow Jsox's advice and get that data backed up

Like I said earlier "With 3 data drives and AHCI Mode you could put your OS SSD in Bay 1 (SATA Port 1 -- SATA III 6Gps) and your three Data Drives in Bay's 2 through 4 (SATA Ports 2 thru 4 -- Port 2 is a SATA III 6Gbps port while Ports 3 & 4 are SATA II 3Gbps ports)"

Thanks again for the replies. My plan of attack now is to backup as much of my data as possible and then install my drives as a new array then putting data back. I think this would be best in the long run and it keeps a drive bay free for upgrading storage at a later date.

What array settings do I need to have the drives running individually rather than backing each other up as I know very little about raid.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help....

Please can you advise which memory 2x8GB is best suited to the Gen8. i'm on quite a tight budget at the minute, so around £80 would be ideal.

My xms3 ram from my nl54 doesn't work in the Gen 8

Thanks for all your help in advance.

"What settings ... to have the drives running individually" If you use RAID I don't think there really are any. The point of RAID is to combine drives to deliver some benefit (failure tolerance or speed). 

Are you talking about your old box or your new box? If for the new box and you don't feel completely obligated to use a hardware RAID you could use one of the software drive pooling products (I have a preference for DrivePool but there are others). Otherwise, for 3 drives I would just pick hardware RAID 5 and go forth knowing that I could continue running with one failed drive.

Memory I can't comment on from experience because I run an N40L. Normally I look at the selectors on Crucial or Kingston sites when I have such questions.