RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

1155 to 1150 move !

Mac

my home server is 1155 based setup with E3-1230 V2 proc using an ati hd 4600 card, I remote in all the time with the exception of hardware changes mostly, would like to loose the ati card for proc with video, aint spending $200.00 for a another proc !

for home use could I get some opinions/personal exp with 1150 chipset ATX motherboards for E3 Xeon procs built into a Norco 4220 chassic using a proc with onboard video ? PLEASE ! 

Edited by Mac

You're wasting your money changing, to be honest.

I've had a lot of boards/CPUs in my server, and I've finally settled on a decent rig that is reasonably power efficient, but runs very well.  I'm now running an old E3-1240 on an AsRock C216 WS.  The E3-1240 has no video, so I'm using an old ATI RageXL in one of the PCI slots.  It uses basically no power, I think about 2W, and the PCI slot is unused anyway as the board has everything else built in.  I had an i5 on that board, which had CPU video, but didn't support ECC RAM.

I had an E3-1225v3 before, on an E3C226-V+ and it was good, but expensive.  I saw little difference between the E3-1240 and the E3-1225v3 in real world use.  Maybe a little less idle power on the V3.  The E3C226-V+ has an ASpeed 1300 video chip on it, which isn't much different to the old ATI.

I run Server 2012R2 with Hyper-V.

For any of the variations of Home Server, Essentials, etc.  anything over an i3 is just a waste in my opinion, unless you are transcoding video.  An i3 with 8 gigs will serve you just fine.