RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Few Q's on Gen8 - Uses, Storage Location

5aq1b

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased this product and took shipment of it a few days ago.  My SSD, RAM and 2.5 - 3.5" converter arrived and I have it all setup.  I already have an N36L which I'm going to leave as is, as it's currently running WHS 2011 and serving my house perfectly fine :)

I intend to run an ESXi lab on the Gen8.  I'm VCP 5.5 certified but want to further my skills, and also perform an upgrade to ESXi 6.  I have a few quesitons which I'm hoping some of you guys with your knowledge and experience can help out with.

My immediate intentions are to run ESXi off the internal USB, and i've fitted the SSD to drive bay 1.  Do I need to make any BIOS modifications?  A quick check today showed that the internal USB booted fine into the ESXi setup but I didnt have much time so I'll go back to it tomorrow.  Do I need to toggle AHCI settings in the BIOS for anything?

Datastores...I've remembered I have 2 Dell Optiplex 755's lying around.  Is it feasible for me to configure these as separate datastores (possibly Openfiler?) which can be picked up by ESXi?  I will then be able to perform vMotions etc if configured correctly...if possible,

As the N36L is in the same room I sleep in, I don't intend to store these here.  I intend to store these in a detached garage, which has no insulation.  Taking UK temperatures into consideration, do I have to take any precautions before I do this, bearing in mind it can get absolutely freezing in the winter.  The plan is to have the Gen8, 2 Optiplex's & a switch in the garage, providing the mains powerline adapters work in there!

I hope you guys can assist - and I'm looking forward to contributing to the board too :)

You have a couple options. I would recommend a second duel or quad nic this way you can have the 2 external stores and a 1/2 nics on the gen8 on 1 switch for the iscsi/nfs connection on a seperate switch. You should run the internal drive on the gen8 as a raid 0 single strip drive.

You have a couple options. I would recommend a second duel or quad nic this way you can have the 2 external stores and a 1/2 nics on the gen8 on 1 switch for the iscsi/nfs connection on a seperate switch. You should run the internal drive on the gen8 as a raid 0 single strip drive.

ok thanks - How do I go about configuring it as a Raid0 single strip drive?  and what benefits does this provide over other options?

Confused about having an extra nic? If I connected the 2 optiplex's to a switch, wouldnt they be visible by ESXi? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant?  It's too close to the weekend :D

shameless bump :)

edit: I figured out how to configure as Raid 0 however still looking for some hints/tips on my other points.

Edited by 5aq1b