RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Testing i7-3770t in a gen8

Ederlezi

Hi guys,

Here's my first tech post

I Ordered 2 weeks ago a gen8 1610 to replace my blade 1950 and my syno 410j.

After reading countless posts on that forum, i think i can start to share :)

Because E3 are atm way too much expensive (1265L-V2), I decided to go for an i7-3770T which noone here seems to have tested yet.

Luckily, i found a second hand for 200€ .

I installed it tonight and here is my first issue (i'm not asking for help :)btw )

When celeron was fine, I have now a status code 0114 at 90%. Seems Mr i7 is not compatible with legit 2gb HP ram.

I should receive a KTH-PL316E tomorrow or day after. I'll test it and update that post.

I tried an i5 in mine with non-ecc ram and it wouldn't post past the ram check phase. I think the processor would have been ok, its the ram that presents the issue, it should work with a combination of non-ecc components but its still picky on the actual ram used.

Spend almost 2 hours doin bios upgrade with intelligent provisionning + ofc the 6/6/14 which is not provided.

Cpu is recognised without problem and the main issue is the ram. Legit,  KTH-PL316E and some udimm elpida of a z210 doesnt work.

Gonna dig more and do more tests.

Spend almost 2 hours doin bios upgrade with intelligent provisionning + ofc the 6/6/14 which is not provided.

Cpu is recognised without problem and the main issue is the ram. Legit,  KTH-PL316E and some udimm elpida of a z210 doesnt work.

Gonna dig more and do more tests.

Any progress now ?

Be interesting to fgind out if it is the CPU/RAM combo thats causing the issue, pretty sure someone a month or so back said that there were CPU/RAM compatibility issues..

Given how hard it is to get the E3-1260/1265 etc here in the UK at the minute a non-ECC option would go down well...

I tried 2 more unbuffered ram non-ecc (kingston and icreative). no success.

That said, beside of bunny https://anothermike2.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/in-the-labhp-proliant-microserver-gen-8from-g1610t-to-i5-3470t/ and a french guy selling an a gen8 with an i7 (http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/minipc/unique-proliant-microserver-sujet_908322_495.htm) there's nothing on internet.

Mikael Bunny nylstrom on say :

January 17, 2015 at 22:13

Well, when I tested it I had the unsupported ECC RAM in the machine and it worked…

The french guy sell :

Citation :

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8

• Configuration de base:

- Pentium G1610T 
- 2 Go de DDR3 ECC Reg 
(un G8 de base vendu 250€ donc..) 

• Modifications de la config:

- Upgrade CPU: Passage à un Intel Core i7 3770T 
- Upgrade RAM: Passage à 4 go ECC (en 1 barrette, 1 Slot disponible) 
- Ajout d'un GPU: Ajout d'une GT520 Low Profile 
- Ajout d'un Lecteur/ Graveur de BluRay: Samsung SN-506BB (Sous scéllé, pas encore monté) 
- Ajout d'un disque dur: Western Digital Caviar Red 6 To (acheté fin novembre)

I'm actually trying to find the ram or equivalent that guy used : An HP A2Z49AT

Ofc, the probabilty to see some registered ecc ram working with an i7 in a gen8 is quite low. I'll try and come back here.

Edited by Ederlezi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

First post here, but I've done quite a lot of reading and recently purchased an i5-3470t as it had been confirmed to work on the Gen8.

it works and posts fine, however it does NOT post without ECC RAM.

The RAM hunt continues. :(