RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Brand new Server 2012 Essentials install... multiple dashboard errors

hifiaudio2

Ok thanks.  Good to know.  :)  I will just install it all again.  I guess its best to go ahead and put my win 8.1 pro client machine back into workgroup mode so its ready to just get the connector again and go through that process.

By the way,  I had to shut off multicasting in my router to get the client connector to work.  Is that normal?  I assume I can just turn that back on afterwards?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hifiaudio2

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• nrf

hifiaudio2

Ok I blew it out and now have it up and running again.  I have done nothing except install all recommended and optional Windows Updates.  I have not really messed with any other settings.  here are the warnings and errors I still continually get upon bootup.  The good news is now I can do a successful DNS query.

I am still getting error flags related to netlogon error 5774, a 10016 error about distributedcom and locallaunch permissions, and a 44 error about certification authority.  Various others, and plenty of warnings, but I figured the errors are more important.  Should I investigate or fix any of those? 

Drashna Jaelre

Ok thanks.  Good to know.   :)  I will just install it all again.  I guess its best to go ahead and put my win 8.1 pro client machine back into workgroup mode so its ready to just get the connector again and go through that process.

By the way,  I had to shut off multicasting in my router to get the client connector to work.  Is that normal?  I assume I can just turn that back on afterwards?

Definitely not normal.

What router?

Ok I blew it out and now have it up and running again.  I have done nothing except install all recommended and optional Windows Updates.  I have not really messed with any other settings.  here are the warnings and errors I still continually get upon bootup.  The good news is now I can do a successful DNS query.

I am still getting error flags related to netlogon error 5774, a 10016 error about distributedcom and locallaunch permissions, and a 44 error about certification authority.  Various others, and plenty of warnings, but I figured the errors are more important.  Should I investigate or fix any of those? 

Like this?: 

ADWS Event ID: 2147485048

Active Directory Web Services could not find a server certificate with the specified certificate name. A certificate is required to use SSL/TLS connections. To use SSL/TLS connections, verify that a valid server authentication certificate from a trusted Certificate Authority (CA) is installed on the machine.

This one is normal after a reboot.  Because there is only one CA in your network, .... and it's rebooting. ;)

There may be a couple other from "ADWS", and NTDS and DFSR. 
These specific ones are due to the domain controller rebooting, and are usually there because it's unable to find another domain controller during the boot process. Since it is likely the only server in your network, it's normal and expected.

Otherwise, could you export the event viewer logs and post them to a dropbox or the like (or even email them to me (drashna@live.com) or somebody else here)
hifiaudio2

Weird... check this out about multicast... exact issue i was having, except on Win 8.1 pro,  not win 7...  disabling multicast made it work on the next try.  Re-enabling doesnt seem to do anything negative now.  

I have an Asus RT-AC87R router.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj635102.aspx

Issue 8

Issue

When I attempt to connect a client computer that is running Windows 7 Home to the server, the web page for running the connector software opens, but the client computer cannot connect to the server

Description

If the router on your network has multicast enabled, communications between the server and a client computer running Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Home Premium do not work correctly.

Solution

Disable multicast on your router. On some routers, that might include disabling the RIP-2M routing protocol. For more information, refer to the documentation provided by the router manufacturer.

Edited by hifiaudio2

new or old system wouldn't make any difference since I didn't read the whole thread, but have u run any hardware test to assure no errors are generated from hardware ?

jmwills

CPU, MOBO, or HDD's.   have you tried to access the server from outside your LAN via Remote Web Access? If that works and you can add clienst and backup siad cleints and then restore data to the clients, those errors you are seeing can be ignored.  You will NEVER have an Event Log free of errors.

run memtest86 on ur ram, download and run an extended test on ur hard drive, chk what the processor temp is in bios, should be below 50 C, and make sure no other hard drives are connected when installing an operating sys.

Edited by Mac
hifiaudio2

I think my events have slowed to nothing major and I am pretty good with the current state.  The blow out seems to have fixed things, thanks!

Follow up question....  I can either leave this R220 (~50 watts)  and MD1000 (~100 watts with 4 drives,  hopefully declining about 20 watts when I change the fans soon) on all the time, or shut it down before bed and start back up the next day.   Thoughts on this?  Is the shut down / restart that hard on the hardware every day that it outweighs the power draw?   If shutting down and restarting IS the recommendation,  is that an automated tool to do so?  The Synology I was using does this,  there must be a windows tool to do it as well. 

If you have DNS on your server and want to use OpenDNS which is setup on your router you can just forward DNS on your server to your router.  The router then will forward to the outside DNS. The nice thing about DNS on your server is you have all your local machine names local for Microsoft use.