RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Brand new Server 2012 Essentials install... multiple dashboard errors

jmwills

Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center (Left Panel Select Change Adapter Settings)  Right Click the Connected NIC and go to Properties.  Highlight TCPv4 and Select Properties.

If you see 127.0.0.1 as the Primary DNS Server, then the Server is handling all DNS functions for the server and connected clients.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hifiaudio2

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• nrf

hifiaudio2

Ah Ok... I had been trying various things for the DNS settings to see if any changed anything, but never that one.  Just read up on localhost.   I have my router set to use OpenDNS servers,  and had the DNS of my Essentials server set to the router IP (192.168.1.1).   I had tried setting the Win8 client to both that router IP, and to my Essential server's IP.   So 127.0.0.1  should be the primary DNS for the server,  what about the clients?  Point them to the server IP? Or leave it on automatic?   

jmwills

Most folks here will tell you to point the clients to the router for DNS..  Here's a good write up on it.

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server

127.0.;0.1 would be the setting on the Server (if you were using the Server as the DNS server).  The clients would have point to the physical address of the Server.  Open DNS throws another whole set of issues into the pot.

hifiaudio2

I keep getting automated test query failed in DNS manager.  I have it set to localhost and DNS manager just has the real IP of the Essentials server listed.  Should it instead say 127.0.0.1  or should it say the real address there?  In any case,  it is failing the test query right now....

I don't have time to dig for that thread right now, but the gist is on the SERVER NIC, the first DNS entry is 127.0.0.1, the second one is a fallback, your router or opendns would be fine.

on the CLIENT, if you don't do something special during the client install, it will be forced to use the server first, so make sure the server is configured 'just in case'.

the tinkertryit link above seems to be a good reference to pin for managing the client install options. I recommend you bookmark it.

I for one don't normally go directly in the event log unless there is a symptom I am chasing, I do look at the best practices results which is what I was referring to above.

in general, the best practices rules appear to assume you are a standard enterprise setup where there should always be a backup domain controller. clearly in essentials that is not going to be the case unless the owner is really advanced. if you give in to a rule that makes that assumption all #$&^% breaks loose in the best practices area.

jmwills

The TinkerTry link, which I think is the one above, speaks of not joining the clients to the Domain and two Registry modifications that keeps DNS local to each client, i.e. pointing to the router.

hifiaudio2

What did you set it to?

127.0.0.1   and it gives me the query failure...

Also getting this error upon server start...

Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'ForestDnsZones.domainname.local.' failed.  These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition).  

Possible causes of failure include:  
- TCP/IP properties of the network connections of this computer contain wrong IP address(es) of the preferred and alternate DNS servers 
- Specified preferred and alternate DNS servers are not running 
- DNS server(s) primary for the records to be registered is not running 
- Preferred or alternate DNS servers are configured with wrong root hints 
- Parent DNS zone contains incorrect delegation to the child zone authoritative for the DNS records that failed registration  

USER ACTION  
Fix possible misconfiguration(s) specified above and initiate registration or deletion of the DNS records by running 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or by restarting Net Logon service on the domain controller.
hifiaudio2

Maybe I should just blow it out.  I did de-install the web services role only to find out that that also included the Dashboard, so I reinstalled.  Maybe something got screwed up during that. 

Drashna Jaelre

Maybe I should just blow it out.  I did de-install the web services role only to find out that that also included the Dashboard, so I reinstalled.  Maybe something got screwed up during that. 

Oh. Yeah.

The web services are a HUGE part of Essentials, so removing that totally would have broke it.

Basically, if it's installed after the initial wizard completes DON'T REMOVE IT, as it IS critical.

In fact, the web service is HOW the server communicates with clients (connector software).