RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Brand new Server 2012 Essentials install... multiple dashboard errors

hifiaudio2

I have a lot of errors /  flags upon startup every time and don't really know where to start.  So far, the functionality I need from the server (which is really just to be a media file nas and Emby media server)  function correctly, as my shares work, etc,  but I would like to get rid of all of the errors.  One, because something is wrong, and two, to learn something. This is my first server OS install ever so I am just figuring things out.  Which of these should I fix (and how?), and which should I just not worry about? This is my only server, AD, etc. Obviously my first attempt at active directory and domains as well.  Thanks a ton for any help! 

Here are some of them in no particular order....

1. Name resolution for the name isatap.HomeMedia timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

2. Microsoft Windows Server has detected that NTLM authentication is presently being used between clients and this server. This event occurs once per boot of the server on the first time a client uses NTLM with this server.

NTLM is a weaker authentication mechanism. Please check:

Which applications are using NTLM authentication?
      Are there configuration issues preventing the use of stronger authentication such as Kerberos authentication?
      If NTLM must be supported, is Extended Protection configured?

3. Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.HomeMedia.local. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

4. The Security System detected an authentication error for the server ldap/name.domainname.local/domainname.local@domainname.LOCAL. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "An attempt was made to logon, but the netlogon service was not started.

(0xc0000192)".

5. Could not connect to the Active Directory.  Active Directory Certificate Services will retry when processing requires Active Directory access.

6. The WinRM service failed to create the following SPNs: WSMAN/servername.domainname.local; WSMAN/servername. 

Additional Data 
 The error received was 8344: %%8344.

User Action 
 The SPNs can be created by an administrator using setspn.exe utility.

7. (This is odd since I have not tried to set up any kind of replication....?)The DFS Replication service failed to contact domain controller  to access configuration information. Replication is stopped. The service will try again during the next configuration polling cycle, which will occur in 60 minutes. This event can be caused by TCP/IP connectivity, firewall, Active Directory Domain Services, or DNS issues. 

Additional Information: 
Error: 160 (One or more arguments are not correct.) 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• nrf

• hifiaudio2

Sine there are no clients joined, I'd blow away the install and start again.  For sure, you can disregard the DFS annotation.

good advice, and the second time around I would suggest finding the thread here about how to set up the DNS settings on the NIC. once that is right lots of things clear up.

you will be left with a best practice alert that says to do something contrary, but please ignore that as you only have one domain controller. following that practice will bring back a bunch of errors.

also, it takes some time for some of those errors to clear out once DNS is ok.

Wait a day or two.  Some of these errors (IIRC) are because there are not other reachable domain controllers, which is expected in yoru setup.

The ones that don't go away.... either just blow away and start again, or troubleshoot them

Thanks guys.  I will give it a day or two to clear up and then see about blowing it out.  Since I just now installed it,  I hate to do that again.  This actually is the second install, since I had one on a regular hard drive and did a reinstall on an SSD.  I wonder if any of this has to do with the single PC that I had connected to the domain that I had to go back into , set it to workgroup, and then install the connector again.   It doesnt show up under devices in the dashboard the way it did on the first install, although I can see that PC under the "active directory users and computers" console. 

You know you don't have to join the client to the domain, right?  You can still enjoy the benefits without being a domain member.

If there are really no good benefits to joining I may have to just look into doing it that way.  But I did like the way the reporting from the dashboard (when it worked on the first install)  and shares work.   It seemed like on my first install there were less flags,  but still there were a few,  even though I did basically nothing escept install the OS,  apply MS updates,  and starting using it / sharing folders.  I have an attached MD1000 with a ReFS parity 4 drive storage space on it. 

Well, you are NEVER going to have Event Logs that are clear of errors.  Some can be ignored and others need attention.  The aforementioned DFS error can be ignored.  Clients that are not in the Domain will still show on the Dashboard and access any Shared Resources the User has access to.

good advice, and the second time around I would suggest finding the thread here about how to set up the DNS settings on the NIC. once that is right lots of things clear up.

you will be left with a best practice alert that says to do something contrary, but please ignore that as you only have one domain controller. following that practice will bring back a bunch of errors.

also, it takes some time for some of those errors to clear out once DNS is ok.

Could you point me to the DNS settings on nic thread?  I searched those terms but came back with nothing...