RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 101, What did you think ?

diehard

In episode 101 Jim, John, and Dave go over the news of the week and talk about a couple of upcoming build projects. There is a lot of cloud news this week and as you know we love to transfer our files off site. In our builds feature Jim talks more about the hardware he has purchased and Dave goes over his current test server. Be on the look out for posts about these builds. We also discuss the deals from show 100 as well as the give away that is going on in the forums. Get registered in the forums and check out the list of gear that is hopefully going to be yours!

What do you think about this weeks show ?

Great show as always! Nice work.

Just a mention about ASUS for WHS...when I first tried the previous version I used the free 1GB offer and wasn't very impressed with it. However, the new version 2.2.6 it works a lot better. The uploads are faster and hasn't mucked up my server in any way. One caveat to it though is you can only backup shared folders, and cannot drill down individual files or folders. I wrote up a review of the new version you can check out...

Asus 2.2.6 for WHS

I had a setback on my build today but no worries. RAID got all jacked up. I'll post it up soon. I need to craft a parts list post first.

Great show as always! Nice work.

Just a mention about ASUS for WHS...when I first tried the previous version I used the free 1GB offer and wasn't very impressed with it. However, the new version 2.2.6 it works a lot better. The uploads are faster and hasn't mucked up my server in any way. One caveat to it though is you can only backup shared folders, and cannot drill down individual files or folders. I wrote up a review of the new version you can check out...

Asus 2.2.6 for WHS

Can the unlimited accounts be used with the WHS add-in? 1 year for $40 isn't that bad of a deal if that works. I installed the client just before the show this week. It had some problems but seems to be stable now.

Oh, and my parts came in today for my build. Pictures could go up this weekend.

Edited by jcollison

Can the unlimited accounts be used with the WHS add-in? 1 year for $40 isn't that bad of a deal if that works. I installed the client just before the show this week. It had some problems but seems to be stable now.

Oh, and my parts came in today for my build. Pictures could go up this weekend.

That is a good question. They gave us a 20GB account for testing and reviewing their services. They also have a Windows and Linux desktop app and an Android one as well. I will get in contact with them and find out if WHS is unlimited.

Still have the year I signed up for, maybe give it another try? Does anyone worry about security

related to their location?

And I have about 15 hours of driving ahead of me in the next week so I am stocking up on tech

podcasts for the trip!

Edited by awraynor

Listened to 101. Noticed several cloud backup options were discussed. CrashPlan was mentioned for social backup, but the purchased cloud backup wasn't mentioned. I purchased the 3 yr family plan wich works out to $5/month unlimited storage and machines. I've put my two servers on for the shares right now and my two notebooks. It's worked fast for me; too fast, I had to adjust the speeds in the program to keep under my Comcast cap. The only problem I've noted so far is that I've changed out the OS drive on one of my servers (to a larger drive then replaced it when it started failing). Although I reinstalled the HP 3.0 OS each time, kept the same server name, CrashPlan identified it as a separate system and started the backup process over. That server doesn't have much in the shares (photos and music), so I didn't research it and let it backup again.

I was trying Carbonite for over a year on my HP WHS when I had DSL and never got very far with backups. The backup seemed to stop uploading during each month and wouldn't get any farther for the rest of the month. Made me wonder if they cap uploads. Contacted Carbonite a couple times. They checked things out and said everything was okay.

I also use the free ASUS WebStorage and have had good luck with it. I use the sync function, mapping the sync folder on my WHS on my PC. I then backup my Quicken there and it syncs off-site. Used to use Quicken backup until I upgraded to 2010, then the file became too large for the basic service and I couldn't see upgrading to the next level for the price.