RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Podcast Downloading and Storage

darteman

What is the best way to download podcasts DIRECTLY to my WHS? I am presently using Zune on a client PC. I would like to not have to depend on a client PC.

Thanks

I was thinking of this too. can we have the Zune software download the podcasts to the iTunes watched folder so that they can then be added to iTunes fast for fast adding to iPod? Does my logic make since?

Sure. Just have iTunes watch the Zune folders and have the Zune watch the iTunes folder and then you can use whichever player you want with whichever device. That said, if you have iTunes open to sync your iPod with, I'd just download the podcast in iTunes and call it a day.

I have tried Juice in the past and installed it on the server running in the background. There's also Community Feeds that has not been developed for a long while but it is an addin. What I don't like about it is that it copies your podcast to the C: drive.
http://www.whsaddins.net/

You can install Subsonic on the server and get it to collect your podcasts.

John (homeservershow).

I've never had good luck with iTunes auto pulling in the new podcasts. This is one thing that I am always sending to Apple whenever they release a new version.

I have an iTouch and once I have a podcast on it from iTunes I can get any new issues of the pod casts via wifi direct from the iTouch without ever having to sync back to iTunes, This was a very pleasant surprise for me as I would often have to head out on a road trip with little forwarning. Now I can get the newest podcasts directly to my device using the hotels wifi.

I believe you can configure the Zune software to use the network shares for the podcast files. It is what i do.

I think I'm going to have to try putting the Zune software on my WHS. I dual-boot between Windows 7 and XP Pro, and it's kind of a pain that management is not shared/coordinated between the two.