RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Noob with a Gen 8

muscleflex

I'm really embarrassed to admit this.. I bought the Gen 8 because I wanted to update my N40L.

The N40L was easy to configure and use.

The Gen 8 - well, I have no idea where to start! It's currently back in the box :(

Can anyone help please?

Even the bios looks different compared to my N40L

What are you intending to do with it? Are you wanting to install VMWare 5.1/5.5/6, a server OS or just Linux/Windows 7/8.1/10 etc. ?

How much RAM you got, what's your hard drives, do you have internal CD/DVD drive for it? Are you intending to use RAID or as standard individual drives?

Do you need to use iLO4 (or even know what its for)?

Edited by psikey

I came from an N40 to a Gen 8, without knowing exactly what you are trying to achieve and where you are struggling you're not really giving us much to play with here chap ;)

What did you do with your N40L?  

Do you want to do the same or are there additional things you want to do with your Gen8?

My N40L has WHS2011 and I only use it to store my movies and family photos/videos

The N40L is connected to my tv via an HDMI (I have a video card with HDMI output installed in the N40L)

The N40L has 4 x 1tb drives plus a 120gb ssd for my OS (the SSD is placed on top where the dvd drive space is). It has 8gb RAM. Using Stablebit Drivepool as well.

I got the Gen 8 really just to upgrade and replace the N40L. I have 2 x 3tb hard drives for the Gen 8 and will move the 120gb SSD from the N40L to the Gen 8 if I can. (it's a Corsair Force GT)

I will also be getting more hard drives for it. Maybe 2 more 3tb drives or 4tb drives.

What did you do with your N40L?  

Do you want to do the same or are there additional things you want to do with your Gen8?

What are you intending to do with it? Are you wanting to install VMWare 5.1/5.5/6, a server OS or just Linux/Windows 7/8.1/10 etc. ?

How much RAM you got, what's your hard drives, do you have internal CD/DVD drive for it? Are you intending to use RAID or as standard individual drives?

Do you need to use iLO4 (or even know what its for)?

Hi - no I have not heard of iLO4 but I googled it and no, I will not be using it. I use teamviewer if I ever need to remote into it from work. Besides, I believe you have to pay a subscription anyway to use iLO?

joe_miner has a bunch of youtube videos on all features and functions of Gen8's.

Basic setup-iLO setup-B120i setup-OS loads-Intelligent Provisioning

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yKp1lch2-7pQ6YF073JQ

Thanks - yeah I have been watching Joe's videos on youtube. He's answered some of my questions last week mainly regarding the raid card. :)