RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TomP

Windows 7 Pro-64 install inc SSD boot and 4HDD?

TomP

All was easy on the N40L installing WHS2011, but now I have a brand new G8 + 3Yr NBC Care pack courtesy of the cashback scheme - and it all looks VERY complicated !!

I want to install W7 Pro-64, not a Server package and have seem many posts here with lots of useful info (sometimes conflicting) so please here are my Newbie conclusions / questions...

1. ILO will work from my desktop as soon as I plug in the G8 to my switch, which will get the DHCP IP from my router? Do I need an App on my desktop to remotely access and do the installation?

2. Does the ILO license expire after a trial period? or can I use it forever?

3. Can / hould I update firmware at this stage via ILO

4. To install W7 Pro-64, I need to download the Server 2008 R2 drivers

5. Can I install W7 using an external USB 2 DVD?

6. Do I need to install / access the B120i driver during W7 install?

7. I want to install on an SSD on the ODD SATA port (%?), do I need to configure this as a RAID 0 array so it will continue to boot after other HDDs are installed ?

8. Do I need to install further HDDs (1-4) individually as RAID 0 arrays? or is it best to do them in RAID pairs, in which case should I use RAID 1 or 10?

9. If all this succeeds, can I still use ILO for future updates? and does anybody know the Windows 10 update path ?

Apologies in advance for the many questions, but advice is much appreciated.

Thanks...TomP

Mixpower

The ILO license never expires, only the support from HP expires!

I would go RAID 10 to be safe and fast!

Edited by Joe_Miner
Misc content edit

Joe_Miner

All was easy on the N40L installing WHS2011, but now I have a brand new G8 + 3Yr NBC Care pack courtesy of the cashback scheme - and it all looks VERY complicated !!

I want to install W7 Pro-64, not a Server package and have seem many posts here with lots of useful info (sometimes conflicting) so please here are my Newbie conclusions / questions...

1. ILO will work from my desktop as soon as I plug in the G8 to my switch, which will get the DHCP IP from my router? Do I need an App on my desktop to remotely access and do the installation?

2. Does the ILO license expire after a trial period? or can I use it forever?

3. Can / hould I update firmware at this stage via ILO

4. To install W7 Pro-64, I need to download the Server 2008 R2 drivers

5. Can I install W7 using an external USB 2 DVD?

6. Do I need to install / access the B120i driver during W7 install?

7. I want to install on an SSD on the ODD SATA port (%?), do I need to configure this as a RAID 0 array so it will continue to boot after other HDDs are installed ?

8. Do I need to install further HDDs (1-4) individually as RAID 0 arrays? or is it best to do them in RAID pairs, in which case should I use RAID 1 or 10?

9. If all this succeeds, can I still use ILO for future updates? and does anybody know the Windows 10 update path ?

Apologies in advance for the many questions, but advice is much appreciated.

Thanks...TomP

Hi TomP and Welcome to the Forums.

1&2. You'll need to hook the Gen8 NIC's into your network then up to a monitor/Keyboard/mouse to see the address for iLO in the lower left of the screen when it powers up -- you can use that address in web browser at any machine on your home network to log into iLO (Name & PW on card attached to back of your new Gen8) .   The iLO license never expires but the license that comes with your Gen8 shuts down 30Seconds after an OS is loaded.  Check the Links page for locations to get Advanced Licenses if you like at cost ~$30 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ 

3. You can via Intellegent Provisioning -- the HP W Server 2008R2 page will have Firmware Updates too 

search for drivers in the HP Support Center at: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5387585&swEnvOID=4064&action=listDriver&swLang=

MicroSoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Downloads: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5387585&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4064         

4. Yes but check: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9501-bsod-with-matrox-drivers-and-windows-7-pro-on-gen-8/#entry102128

5. Yes

6&7.  You;ll need to Hit F5 during post and go into the SSA and initialize your SSD attached to the ODD SATA as a single drive RAID0

8.  It's a matter of personal preference at this point.  For increase resiliency for your data RAID1 is Good and RAID10 is Best IMHO but you still need a well thought out and executed back up plan

9.  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8770-windows-10-free-upgrade-for-1-year/?p=102004  

Here's a draft of something I've been working on:

Step-By-Step Windows 7

I.          I checked that all of my firmware was up to date before attempt to load the OS (use iLO4) – Figure 3.

II.         In the HSS Forums GotNoTime posted a nice cross-reference of which HP Server Drivers to use for the various Windows OS’s at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9358-windows-81-drivers/?p=100968

“Ever since XP, Microsoft uses the same core APIs and the kernel in the desktop and server editions of Windows. It is just tuned differently on the various versions to handle foreground or background tasks and will have a different set of services enabled. The Windows 2012 R2 drivers would be what HP would have released for Windows 8.1 if they supported it as a configuration on the G8 Microserver.

Windows 8.1 = Windows Server 2012 R2

Windows 8 = Windows Server 2012

Windows 7 = Windows Server 2008 R2

Windows Vista = Windows Server 2008

Windows XP = Windows Server 2003

So I began my search for drivers in the HP Support Center at: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5387585&swEnvOID=4064&action=listDriver&swLang=

MicroSoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Downloads: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5387585&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4064         

II.         Collect the following Drivers in one over-arching-folder for Windows 7

RAID (B120i) Drivers (2008 R2)

·         ** RECOMMENDED ** HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i/B320i SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions 6.12.0.64 (30 MAR 2015) cp024078.exe

Network Drivers

·         16.8.0.4 (30 MAR 2015)  HP Broadcom 1Gb Driver for Windows Server x64 Editions  cp023987.exe   

III.        I extracted the B120i RAID drivers using 7-zip, to separate folder (copy to USB flash for a non-iLO installation)

1.    Boot from the Windows 7 iso (I was doing my installation via iLO4 – this could also be done with the Windows 7 installer on a bootable USB flash drive or a DVD in a USB Optical drive) to start installation.

2.    I was asked for RAID drivers, point the installer to the appropriate folder for the B120i in iLO4’s folder (or on USB/DVD drive/disk).

3.    Select OS or Primary disk and continue with Windows 7 installation – Since I had only initialized the drive in SSA that I wanted to load the OS on there was only one drive to pick.

4.    Once Windows 7’s installation was complete I had no internet access.

5.    With Windows Explorer I went to “iLO Folder (D)” and copied the Network Driver file cp023987.exe to the downloads folder on the MicroServer and executed it from that downloads folder (I also copied the driver files cp019317.exe  and cp024845.exe  to my downloads folder)

Once installation of Windows 7 is complete, go to Device Manager.  I saw two devices remaining with Yellow Triangles/Exclamation Marks: 1) one is the USB 3 driver and 2) under Other Devices I saw “Base System Device”

1.   Install USB 3.0 Driver (execute RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-Setup.exe)

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Drivers for Windows Server 2008R2  3.0.23.0 (10 Sep 2013)  cp019317.exe

2.    Install Base System Device which is the System Management iLO Drivers

Driver -- System Management

3.10.0.0 (H)(30 MAR 2015)  HP ProLiant iLO 3/4 Channel Interface Driver for Windows X64  cp024845.exe   

Device Manager should now be good but there’s MORE if you want.

Don’t forget to download and install MicroSoft Security Essentials or Other Security Software!!

Continue with installation of Windows 7 updates.

Finally!  There are More Drivers from 2008R2 and if I was using my P222 then I would also go to P222 for 2008R2 for more drivers to potentially load – YMMV!

----------

Edited by Joe_Miner

TomP

Wow !! Thanks Joe !! There is even more to consider than I originally thought and some of your great info is literally minutes old (the Matrox driver BSD stuff) !!

I do need quite a lot of time to digest all this, so I hope it is OK to come back on individual points as I come to them?

My first question is on ILO. The port I first need to connect to my network switch is the ILO port, the other two are not functional until the OS is loaded, right?

I did download the ILO 4 manual and checked the HP ILO web page, where they compare versions / features and it seems like the only thing that expires after OS loading is the remote operation. If I am happy to use local

monitor / kbd / mouse (as I do with WHS2011), do I really need to buy an ILO license that seem to cost  from £ / $ 150 upwards rather than the $30 you mention?

I'll spend a few happy hours reading the ILO 4 manual to learn about firmware updates before I ask any more questions. Thanks for your help and patience...TomP

Joe_Miner

I and other have found Advanced iLO licenses on eBay -- there's a number of links in the links page

Personally, I would connect all the NIC ports to your network from the start -- IF you only have 1 network port available I'd personally skip iLO and do the install at the Gen8 with Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse -- but that's just me -- other's may have better ideas

TomP

Most helpful, thanks Joe !!

I also finally found an ILO Advanced licence on Amazon UK, which is only £46.41 with comments that it worked fine with Gen 8 ILO 4, so I'll grab that.

TomP

Ordered the ILO licence and waiting for it to arrive. Can I install pre-OS loading? or how do I install after OS load when the basic license has expired?

Also I see the i3-3220T CPU is a very good price, so is this worth going for?  and again is this best installed pre-OS?

Thanks again for all the help...TomP