RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Grant B

Running older programs in Windows 10

Grant B

Good Day All,

I have a question for all those who delve deep into the inner working of Windows OS's. It pertains to running older software on the newer versions of Windows.

I have an older piece of software that was not a "approved" to run on Windows 7. However, with xpmode installed, the software has been running fine on Win7 and you access in a normal window just like any other app. Now that Windows 10 is available, I want to upgrade to then new OS - especially since MS is offering it free to Win7 users. My only issue is that I use that particular piece of software quite frequently and would hate to miss out on the upgrade simply because of it. The option to upgrade to a newer version of this program does not exist...

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to run these older software packages on Win10 as I can in Win7? I would prefer the ability to use it inside Win10 as any other application but fear that the only way to do it would be a dual boot configuration or a VM. I realize that Win10 isn't even out yet but was wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

I appreciate any direction I can get.

Cheers

GotNoTime

XP mode in Windows 7 is actually a VM anyway. It just hooks into it enough that it places the application windows onto your actual desktop.

If you want to replicate the same effect then you'll either need VirtualBox with Seamless mode or VMware Workstation with Unity mode.

• Like 1

Poppapete

It will always run in an virtual XP loaded in Hyper-V if you cannot find another option.

• Like 1

Al_Borges

I've have the best luck over the years with older software using a 32 bit version of windows 7. Helps with hardware compatibility also. I keep a win7-32bit install going just to support an old , but functional sheet fed scanner from the early xp time frame

Windows 10 will be available in a 32bit version. A W7 license is good for either 64 or 32 bit

Hopefully this will hold true for W10

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

I have one machine set up running Windows 7 just to support some legacy hardware that plugs into the USB ports and probably as long as I have that HW I'll need to keep that one machine around.

Mac

u didn't say how old or what program, but to expect older progs that were written outside of UAC, and the possibility they were poorly written even for XP is merely a stretch even in 32 bit, great way to test would be in a virtual machine I would expect, course Im a newby in the virtual arena anyhow, just a thought.

Grant B

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Ideally, I would like to have the same sort of functionality I have now, where XP mode allows the application to run on the desktop like any other through the XP mode environment. I realize that MS has ended support for XP mode, I was just wondering if Windows 10 would be so different from Windows 7 that XP mode could not be installed. As I understand it, XP mode is basically a nicely wrapped XP VM that "works invisibly" to allow the older software to be accessible on the newer OS.

If that is not possible, I will try to recreate this through a VM software and the unity like mode. My concern is the performance hit the rest of the system may take when the VM locks a portion of the resources. I don't seem to notice a hit through XP mode...