RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 Client Support

jmwills

I don't think anyone has yet to install it with Essentials R2.  From what I have been reading Build 10159 broke some things that were previous working like VPN and Hyper-V Management.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• oceang

• Poppapete

• Jay2001

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UEFI support and the Client Restore over the network are #1 & #2 for my change to essentials.

I uninstalled the connector - archived the old windows 10 data and re-installed the connector Everything connected fine and is running a backup now. I dont have any other server software installed a

Windows 10 10162 supports connector in Home Server 2011 and hopefully 2012 R2 E   http://www.wegotserved.com/2015/07/06/windows-10-now-supports-windows-home-server-client-backup/

WHS_Refugee

I was just coming to ask about this very topic (Windows 10 client support on 2012R2 Essentials).  I'm planning to upgrade four or five clients to the RTM version of Win10 as soon as I can, so I'm hoping the connector will work.  I have one laptop running 10162, but I'll probably revert it to 8.1, and then install Win10 RTM, since MS has made it so that you have to now sign in with a Microsoft account to continue to get Insider builds.

jmwills

Sing in with a Microsoft account to get the insider builds?  Since when?  Both of my Win10 machines are using local accounts.

WHS_Refugee

Sing in with a Microsoft account to get the insider builds?  Since when?  Both of my Win10 machines are using local accounts.

Since 10162, anyway.  When you go to Settings, Update & Security (Windows Update), then click Advanced options, under Get Insider builds, instead the Slow ring/Fast ring drop-down, you get the message, "Your Microsoft account requires attention to get Insider builds."  Your options then are to click the Fix me button, which takes you through a wizard, where you sign on with your MS account.  It then migrates your user profile, and asks you to type in your local password "one last time".  The other option is a link titled, Stop Insider builds.  So, it's forcing you to switch to an MS account, or stop getting Insider builds.

I've seen this on machines running local accounts, and machines that are joined to an AD 2012 domain after installing Windows 10. 

Edited by WHS_Refugee
jmwills

What I was saying is I always use local accounts and know about the setting to get a fast download.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried this with the 10240 build, which I believe is effectively the final release?

Yes, I have.

No it doesn't work.  Here is a link to a thread on Microsoft's site on the same subject.  There are has been a number of postings from different people and zero response from anyone from Microsoft or in the know.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4c9e5448-fcc5-41bb-8582-35fd62918771/problems-installing-server-2012-r2-connector-software-on-windows-10-technical-preview?forum=WinPreview2014Setup

Also, there has been some discussion on this same subject buried in another thread in this forum. Read from Post #231 onwards.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8906-problems-restoring-files-from-client-backup/page-12

I am tracking all of these and will test as soon as anyone says they have a fix / solution

• Like 1