RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 Client Support

Just to be clear MS admit that Feature Upgrades will break the connector but Servicing Updates should not. A fix will be sent to the WS 2012 R2 E and a new client connector package (This does not apply to WS 2012 E just the R2). When these arrive you will have to reconnect clients for hopefully a final time. The fix is due "in the coming months".

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2016/01/22/windows-10-feature-upgrade-breaks-client-connector-for-window-server-2012-r2-essentials-windows-server-2012-essentials-and-windows-small-business-server-2011-essentials/

My guess it will be fixed with 2016 Essentials.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• oceang

• Poppapete

• Jay2001

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UEFI support and the Client Restore over the network are #1 & #2 for my change to essentials.

I uninstalled the connector - archived the old windows 10 data and re-installed the connector Everything connected fine and is running a backup now. I dont have any other server software installed a

Windows 10 10162 supports connector in Home Server 2011 and hopefully 2012 R2 E   http://www.wegotserved.com/2015/07/06/windows-10-now-supports-windows-home-server-client-backup/

Poppapete

I guess so since I posted in that thread. Lol

Sorry can't keep up with the threads. You sure did, actually more than anyone else. :blink:

Just to be clear MS admit that Feature Upgrades will break the connector but Servicing Updates should not. A fix will be sent to the WS 2012 R2 E and a new client connector package (This does not apply to WS 2012 E just the R2). When these arrive you will have to reconnect clients for hopefully a final time. The fix is due "in the coming months".

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2016/01/22/windows-10-feature-upgrade-breaks-client-connector-for-window-server-2012-r2-essentials-windows-server-2012-essentials-and-windows-small-business-server-2011-essentials/

I have went through a batch of windows updates 2/9/2016 that would normally (for me anyway) cause the server to become disconnected from the windows 10 pro. client computer but this time did not, after the required reboot. I don't know what the difference is whether an update from the last batch or this batch fixed the problem but at least this time it didn't do it! :D  This was the first time since the first "Feature upgrade" to windows (that completely seemed to uninstall the connector) that I haven't had to reconnect the client to the computer via the "windows server essentials connector configuration wizard" (keep in mind that the connector was not becoming uninstalled like with the feature upgrade but was simply becoming disconnected from the server after the required reboot of the "Servicing Updates".

Edited by Jay2001
Poppapete

That is exactly what has happened to me. Some clients loose connection to the server after a reboot after a service update but the connector is still installed.  After a features update the connector is uninstalled after the reboot. MS does not admit to the first bug but admits to the second. As I have mentioned here or elsewhere I have server connection icon in my taskbar on each client so I can see at a glance if there is a connection to the server.

That is exactly what has happened to me. Some clients loose connection to the server after a reboot after a service update but the connector is still installed.  After a features update the connector is uninstalled after the reboot. MS does not admit to the first bug but admits to the second. As I have mentioned here or elsewhere I have server connection icon in my taskbar on each client so I can see at a glance if there is a connection to the server.

Ok, cool up till now I thought I was the only one noticing that particular behavior. Well like I said It did it religiously every time I had to do service updates...... till now; So hopefully the problem has been addressed I guess I'll find out as more service updates are released!

Poppapete

I am not on any Windows Insider Programs (except for windows phone).

Current Version for WS 2012 R2 E is 6.3.9600 Build 9600

Current Version for W10 is 10.0.10586 Build 10586