RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 Client Support

oceang

I have spent some time searching this site and others for any information on when / if Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Client Connector will be updated to support Windows 10 clients. 

I have not found any link with a definite statement from Microsoft or anyone who has managed to get it to work unofficially.

With the date for the release of Windows 10 approaching and no news that I can find on any of the Microsoft forums, I thought it would be good to pool what we know here on this subject.  Hopefully, Microsoft will provide the support in sufficient time to enable testing.

Oceang.

Mod Edit:

For anyone else with Connector issues on Windows 10, here is Microsoft's statement about it:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2015/07/23/client-connector-availability-with-windows-home-server-small-business-server-and-windows-server-essentials-for-supported-client-os.aspx

This includes a compatibility chart

Manual Downloads for the Windows 10 Client can be found in the link above.  You must manually download these, and start the Client Connector setup yourself.

The Client Connector for Windows 10 to connect to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials has been released. 

For x64 bit Windows 10 Client download it from here.

For x86 bit Windows 10 Client download it form here.

Note:

- The Client Connector needs to be manually downloaded and installed on the Windows 10 Client OS. Once the installation is completed follow the steps listed below,

- Click on Start, All Apps

- Scroll down till "Windows Server Essentials", expand and run "Windows Server Essentials Connector Configuration Wizard".

This is a known issue and the fix on the server is being targeted to be released tentatively in October 2015.

Once the fix is patched, then there will be no user intervention required, all the downloading, installation and configuration will be automatically carried out

Edited by Drashna Jaelre
Added Microsoft links for Connector issues

My guess is is 10 will not be supported until it goes RTM and the code is final then you will see updates for WHS2011 and 2012R2E that will allow clients to connect.  Every version of 10 up to 10122 would not connect.

Hope you're right -- would be nice to upgrade to 10 and still back up to WHS2011 :)

Essentials offered nothing I couldn't do with 2011.

You know, exact for Active Directory and related features.

And File History Backup setup by default.

And better handling of Clients with UEFI systems.

And the "Client Restore Services" using Windows Deployment Services to PXE (diskless network) boot the Restore Disk, so you don't have to create a flash drive. 

UEFI support and the Client Restore over the network are #1 & #2 for my change to essentials.

• Like 1

You know, exact for Active Directory and related features.

And File History Backup setup by default.

And better handling of Clients with UEFI systems.

And the "Client Restore Services" using Windows Deployment Services to PXE (diskless network) boot the Restore Disk, so you don't have to create a flash drive. 

Like I said, nothing I can't do without.

My main benefit for 2012R2 is removing the 2 TB limit for server backups.

I also like PXE restores.

Back on topic - It is ironic, but the WHS2011 Connector does install on Windows 10 Build 10130 and works fine. I have successfully run a backup.  Haven't run a restore yet, as I am still trying to work out how to do that under ESXI (I have been spoilt by the PXE method on 2012R2). Dashboard also works OK.

Have re-tried 2012R2 connector on Build 10130 and still wont install.