RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 vs H54L

Tronador

Been doing a lot of reading of this forum to get my head around a few things and I hope you can help me out.

I currently have a Synology DS413j with 4x 3TB drives in Raid 5. It is super under powered and is chugging along and making my VPN unstable with all the stuff I am trying to do on it. 

I think I will replace it with either a Gen 8 or a H54L. Essentially I want it to be able to do my internal network routing, file server, media streaming, usenet (couchpotato/sickrage) and VPN. Possibly even a CCTV camera or two soon.

Would the Gen 8 be better for those tasks?

What is the best way to move my Raid 5 setup across? I believe I will need to buy a new controller card for the Gen 8.

If you have an tips that would be appreciated. 

Edited by Tronador

CCTV will kill the box if you add more than 1 camera.

I run all those services on a N36L and when I tried installing ispyconnect with a couple of HD cameras and motion detection enabled it became unusable.

The N54L is slightly more powerful so may fair slightly better but I'd recommend for CCTV you look at a significantly more powerful box or a standalone option you can connect onto the network for remote viewing etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to what Operating System you were planning on using?

Well I pulled the trigger on a Gen 8 and it should arrive this week.

I'm going to run xpenology having come from a synology environment. The other reason is that I have all my disks in Synology Hybrid Raid 5 at the moment. I don't have the cash for new disks right now so I'll need to stick the xpenology.

I might run it as a VM so I can also run pfsense on the same box. Not sure how that affects the hybrid raid but I assume it would be fine.

Edited by Tronador