RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Great podcast on Plex, NAS, HP Stream Mini Desktop and networking in general.

yes, interesting. I for one would like to know more about the power scheme in the RV. how long does the battery last if the systems are run thru the invertor, anything running directly from 12V in the setup?

• Like 1

Excellent show. The carputer is not dead, it seems. I don't have an RV but I like this sort of outside-the-box ideas.

I do have a couple of things to say:

1. It wasn't quite specified in the podcast or I may just have missed it but I assume the setup is doing a one-way Sync only? So, watched/unwatched and such info that has changed in the RV gets overwritten when Sync runs its cycle?

2. I'm with Dave on using a USB 3.0 HDD (single drive or maybe those multi-bay ones), instead of a Synology. One less box to have to shutdown properly. I've also read that you can use BTSync for the two Plex servers to sync content. It can do bi-directional sync if preferred

+1 on the RV setup in Visio.

I really like the idea of bringing my media content with me when I travel. In my car, my 2-DIN head unit has a 500GB USB HDD attached which contains mostly 'car-friendly' TV sitcoms and a few cartoons/animations for the kids. These are my challenges:

1. During playback, decoding is natively done by the HU. Though, it can open most common media files, it's nowhere near what Plex can decode. So *.avi is fine, *.mkv, not so, for example.

2. There's no concept of sync. The drive has to be removed, attached to the server and i will have to manually copy the content I want

For the more current movies, we use the Sync function in Plex to sync to individual iPads and Android devices. But it's painfully slow and you'll have to do it to each device. Having a mobile Plex server seems like a good idea when we go camping.

• Like 1

This I'm sure is probably an obvious question to RV owners, but how are you powering the HP stream and the Synology, and can these be powered in a car, or at least the stream?

thanks

derek

This I'm sure is probably an obvious question to RV owners, but how are you powering the HP stream and the Synology, and can these be powered in a car, or at least the stream?

thanks

derek

Until a better answer comes along, this is my take. Think of his RV as a giant UPS. It has an inverter and a bank of batteries. When the RV is parked and connected to an external AC source, it charges the batteries and supplies utility power to the RV's AC receptacles, including the HP Stream Mini and Synology. When external power is removed, the inverter takes over by drawing power from the battery.

Subtle features do differ between different make, model, year, etc.

ah .. I see.

So would there be any way of using the HP stream in a car. One could use a USB drive instead of the synology as I suspect it would difficult to rig up power for the synology?

ah .. I see.

So would there be any way of using the HP stream in a car. One could use a USB drive instead of the synology as I suspect it would difficult to rig up power for the synology?

Of course. There are 12V inverters available that plugs into the cig lighter socket that converts it to 110V (or 220V, depending on where you live).

If you're in the US, you'd want 110V output. Start here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=12v+inverter

Now, on to the more detailed stuff. You will need to figure out two things when choosing an inverter:

1. How much Wattage does your device(s) require. The HP Stream Mini for example is spec'd to pull around 45W max. If that is the only equipment connected to the inverter, get a unit that is rated at least twice that. So in this case, a 100W inverter will comfortably supply power to the HP Stream Mini without generating too much heat

2. Check your cig lighter socket current limits. You can't just put a 3000W inverter and attach a dish washer to it. At the least, you'll definitely blow a fuse. I suggest you read through the following article, particularly on calculating how big the inverter can be and how much load it can support based on the max current your cig lighter can supply. http://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/power-a-laptop-or-tv-with-a-car-power-inverter/view-all

• 2 months later...

Hello David, Dewain and fellow HSS forum folks,

I first posted these comments/questions onto the YOUTUBE video comments section. Then realized there was a forum associated to the podcast... so here it is again, sorry for the duplication. 

I had a similar epiphany. I suppose I was destine to coincide with your thoughts, since I have an HP STREAM Mini, a life-time PLEX subscription, an unlimited data JETPACK, a NAS (NETGEAR ReadyNAS Ultra2 Plus) and a motorhome, I was trying to determine how to make this all work together. So my first step was to do a search for PLEX HP STREAM, RV and NAS, which lead me to your podcast! I have been trying to figure out the logistics of all this, and specifically how exactly it is configured. I looked for the promised Visio diagram, however, I'm not finding that diagram. Is it there and I missing it? I looked through all the links here: http://bit.ly/1MttBMu

Does the TP-Link bridge provide the wi-fi connectivity inside your rig, or does the home router provide that?

JUST FYI - There are several wi-fi, cellular products made specifically for RV/Boat applications (i.e.WiFiRanger, Pepwave, Cradlepoint, MaxxFi). Although those products tend to be crazy expensive prices.   A great source of information on that specific application of Internet and networking and RVs can be found at: 

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Thanks for the PODCAST! Look forward to more info. 

Edited by Brew