RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi and FreeNAS - both on USB

chs.santhu

Hi Guys

This is my second post here and as I mentioned in the my first post very new to Gen8.

I am just reading the posts and following my instincts :)

This is what I have done so far:

1) 16 GB RAM installed

2) 4x 2 TB WD Disks placed

3) Firmware upgrade through SPP

4) ESXI installed on internal USB

5) FreeNAS is installed on USB again attached to one of the external port.

Now failing to understand how these two can work together ? Could someone please guide me.

Also be aware that running FreeNAS under ESXi without an additional disk controller passed through with VT-d is unsupported.

If you don't use VT-d (only possible on the Gen8 by changing the CPU and adding another disk controller card) "apparently" many people loose data...

Depends what you want to achieve with the box - there may be a safer way of doing it.

Do you plan on running other VMs on this box?  If not you can just install FreeNAS on the bare metal.

If you do plan on running other OS's, then you can run FreeNAS in a vm and call it a day.  While this is unsupported, this is how I have mine setup with VT-d 

Do you plan on running other VMs on this box?  If not you can just install FreeNAS on the bare metal.

If you do plan on running other OS's, then you can run FreeNAS in a vm and call it a day.  While this is unsupported, this is how I have mine setup with VT-d 

I thought it was supported if using VT-d, but not if using vRDMs or the pRDM hack?

Hmm is been a while since I've read the docs but they used to not like the virtual options. They wanted bare metal

Thanks for all the replies. You are awesome.

After reading seems like I am in different world trying to pick the the technologies you mentioned. I don't know what is VT-d and passthrough stuff so will definitely start reading. One thing for sure is that I am going to have multiple VMs with different Operating Systems on them.

Could you please give me some information like why do we need VT-D and Passthrough in layman's terms so that I can keep in mind while gaining knowledge.

Thanks again

Edited by chs.santhu

You can 'passthrough' hardware to the machine for use, as if it was a bare metal box.  ie, usb cards or in many cases hba storage adapters.  In my case, I pass a m1015 pci card through to my FreeNAS vm so that it can directly use the 4 disks that I have connected to my m1015.  Vt-d is the technology behind his.  "VT-d" stands for "Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O".

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/06/25/understanding-vt-d-intel-virtualization-technology-for-directed-io