RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Drashna Jaelre

StableBit CloudDrive

Technogod

I use Acronis True Image Cloud 2016. I have nine computers backed up to the Cloud using 1.6 TB of storage. I've restored several computers with no issues.

• Like 1

JackoUK

Herewith my first stab at a vanilla home Windows cloud architecture (counting StableBit CloudDrive as vanilla - OK?).

First the schematic (maybe, sans finger trouble) ...

http://1drv.ms/1hudOzl​

... then the explanation:

1. Backup is provided by Windows File History which has 2 limitations ...

2. ... it works from Windows Libraries but does not allow network file shares as input, so we virtualise network shares into drive letters using CloudDrive Network Share Providers

3. ... FH wants a single target backup drive or network share, so we virtualise an output network share using a /Backup folder in a CloudDrive OneDrive Provider drive letter

4. The network shares are storage servers with however many disks you can combine into a single share using Storage Spaces.

5. The main workstation has an M2 NVME drive to ensure performance of the caches and work in progress ...

6. ... work in progress is lodged temporarily in the standard user profile areas of Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos; before completed projects are moved to their corresponding network shares.

Who knows - it might work - with modifications.

Interoperability?

- network shares could be LINUX LVM exported shares, ...

- <your arrangement of storage servers and their disks>

- <your backup program here instead of File History>

- <your choice of cloud provider(s) here instead of OneDrive>

- <your choice of recovery speed with RAID on the storage servers>

- <your arrangement of drive letters and storage server count>

... but you have to have a Windows workstation and CloudDrive. I'm calling it Nuage 0.1.

Note: this is a scale-out design, not the (largely) scale-up designs predominating in this forum.

No fast CPU's, no Windows Server licenses, maybe only 1 Windows, 1 CloudDrive and 1 Cloud Provider license!

Your turn ;-)

Edited by JackoUK

awraynor

I use Acronis True Image Cloud 2016. I have nine computers backed up to the Cloud using 1.6 TB of storage. I've restored several computers with no issues.

How was the upload speed with their product. I've seen some sales with Acronis 2015 with some cheap Cloud Storage. For the first

year at least. 

Technogod

Upload speeds were comparable with Crash Plan. Unfortunately, their servers have been down for four days now. I have no idea what is going on.

Technogod

Acronis Cloud servers were back up this morning. They were down for five days.

awraynor

Acronis Cloud servers were back up this morning. They were down for five days.

\

I don't go crazy about downtime like many people. Especially with Facebook and G-Mail. However, five days

is a bit unsatisfactory. Do they run on top of someone else?

Technogod

I don't know. All they would tell me is, the servers are under maintenance. I posted a message on their forum requesting more information but it went unanswered.