RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Drashna Jaelre

StableBit CloudDrive

Drashna Jaelre

Amazon Prime gets you Unlimited photos for free.

Unlimited Everything is $60/year regardless if you have Prime or not.

However, Amazon is definitely experiencing "infrastructure issues" with their Cloud Drive service. I suspect that it's been a LOT more popular than they expected ... and probably don't have a big enough team working on it (it's not the same team that works on S3 .... which is pretty stupid IMO).

Currently, we (Covecube) are on a "development" account for StableBit CloudDrive. The problem with that is that they limit the max speed ... in general.  Additionally, as more people use it, it gets throttled more aggressively.  

We did ... after a couple of months... get approved for production usage. But after a day (yes, literally only one), a single user was uploading at 50MB/s (yes, really). Instead of throttling that user, or asking us to "fix" the issue, they reverted use back to developmental status and *then* ... well, asked us who the user was (despite the fact that the connection requires an authorizing key generated by Amazon... and linked to the user's account). 

My point? Amazon Cloud Drive is not reliably right now. Which is a shame. It's the best option, as it is truly unlimited and a fantastic price. 

But I would highly recommend against using it until Amazon is able to get out all of the "kinks" in their service.

Jason

Great info. And I hate when providers throttle like that. Honestly none of the other cloud providers listed in Covecube Cloud Drive appealed to me like Amazon. I used to be a S3 subscriber and it was an awesome service but just got too expensive for a home environment. Was hoping their new Amazon Cloud Drive was comparable to S3 without the redundant storage locations. Oh well...ill just cancel after my 3 month free trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre

Absolutely.

And just a heads up, from the sounds of it, they are working on the backend, and improving it. So in a couple of months, who knows... maybe it will work reliably. 

Though, have you checked out Backblazes' new B2 storage solution? It's a MUCH cheaper alternative to S3 and similar. 

JackoUK

Looks like I need to reacquaint myself with the current cloud pricing structures!

One comparison site here:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/software-tools/tp/unlimited-online-backup.htm​

The situation with 'unlimited' storage seems to be going the same way as 'unlimited' broadband i.e. the vendors overstate their case and big-time users suck it up :-(

Must look up my Trading Standards Office and watchdog too!

JackoUK

"My point? Amazon Cloud Drive is not reliable right now. Which is a shame. It's the best option, as it is truly unlimited and a fantastic price.​"

I disagree.

1. The Amazon service is not unlimited ... by your own admission! ... nor is OneDrive ... nor is anybody else in reality.

Amazon is 'best placed' currently because of advance strategic investments, with others trying to catch up.

2. Fantastic price?

http://www.bestcloudstorage.net/​

All looking pretty similar to me.

3. In a global shakeout there are usually only 3 players left: my best guess? Amazon, Microsoft, Backblaze.

- Amazon have a head start as first movers and consumer penetration of purchasing services

- Microsoft too have market penetration ... for Windows and Office

- Backblaze ... are a single focus company and if they do not fall to corporate acquisition or lose out to bundling attractiveness may have technically the best storage product

- <your alternative to Backblaze here>

4. All the big players are 'working on back-ends'. This is war!

I don't want to guess ... I want a Service Level Agreement.

Vendors, pundits, developers ... all seem to be happy to comment on poor performance ... but no-one is working towards an SLA (Hint: the vendors will not unless pressed).

Edited by JackoUK

Jason

Thanks - I hadn't considered Backblaze.  May take advantage of their Personal Backup unlimited edition. B2 is definitely attractive but perhaps overkill considering CrashPlan has proven great for my home backup needs.

GotNoTime

I don't want to guess ... I want a Service Level Agreement.

Vendors, pundits, developers ... all seem to be happy to comment on poor performance ... but no-one is working towards an SLA (Hint: the vendors will not unless pressed).

You're not going to get a useful SLA at these prices. At most you'll have a best effort one with no penalties masquerading as a proper SLA. If you want real guarantees then be prepared to pay lots for it. It is the same with internet connections.
  • Like 2

Drashna Jaelre

Google offers a similarly priced storage solution. 

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1268-cloud-providers/#entry8445

But out of Amazon, Google and Microsoft, ... well, Microsoft offers the cheapest option to start with. Not counting Glacier (which is not usable for CloudDrive, as there is a 4+ hour wait time to retrieve uploaded data)

And i need to add BackBlaze to that list as well. 

Also, there are open source S3 compatible servers you can host yourself. OpenStack's Swift if one of them, IIRC.

While they may be free or cheap, the hidden cost is that YOU (or your company) must maintain the storage infrastructure. 

JackoUK

"You're not going to get a useful SLA at these prices. At most you'll have a best effort one with no penalties masquerading as a proper SLA. If you want real guarantees then be prepared to pay lots for it."

I don't want a guarantee, I want a level of service.

And I don't want any penalties for the occasional screw up ... I just want my 80/20 99% of the time.

"It is the same with internet connections.​"

Indeed it is ... which means you should not lapse into your defeatist mode.

The ISP's tried the same trick in the UK with broadband speeds.

There was an outcry.

Eventually the watchdog awoke from its slumbers ... and each ISP now has to have a Traffic Management Statement.

Here is mine for BT.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/c/346​

I want the same from Microsoft wrt Onedrive (and any one else who puts unlimited in their ads.).

I've already submitted a complaint to my local Trading Standards Authority.

Goodness knows how long it will take me to wake them up.

Remember what happened when we complained about the Windows 8 UI?

Sinofsky, Ballmer - gone.

Start menu back.

The Windows Insider programme.

Windows 10 free.

I say complain ... loudly!

JackoUK

I missed Google - OK, make that 4 players in the shakedown.

And 50 minutes to download a 4GB film ... no ... use Prefetch in CloudDrive and watch it stream!

And that's my worst case scenario for the cloud :-)

Edited by JackoUK