RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Drashna Jaelre

StableBit CloudDrive

GotNoTime

Not very inspiring ... but no throttling.

You're getting ~11Mbps download and ~6Mbps upload. That sounds throttled or bottlenecked to me considering your connection is 60/17.

JackoUK

Agreed ... let me be more precise ...

... OneDrive appears to be throttled by a factor of 3 or more ...

... but I see no sign (yet) of the 1 hour suspensions reported elsewhere.

Maybe if I tried continuous use I might see those too :-(

And maybe suspension only occurs for traffic coming via the API?

Edited by JackoUK

Drashna Jaelre

Agreed ... let me be more precise ...

... OneDrive appears to be throttled by a factor of 3 or more ...

... but I see no sign (yet) of the 1 hour suspensions reported elsewhere.

Maybe if I tried continuous use I might see those too :-(

And maybe suspension only occurs for traffic coming via the API?

Specifically, the API mentions that the retry time can be as high as 3600 seconds (1 hour).  And in testing with StableBit CloudDrive, yes, the retry times get high enough to be unusable (and rather quickly).

However, it is entirely possible (plausible) that Microsoft is using a different method/API for their client that isn't subject to the ridiculous retry and throttling limitations. Wouldn't even surprise me, in fact.

So about that Service Level Agreement for <a cloud storage provider>, what do we need?

- availability figures (assuming the customer internet connection is functioning properly)

- bandwidth: how much data per unit period of time

- volume: 1TB, 10TB, ... unlimited

- contingency for failure of main system

Has CoveCube been considering these factors ... or is it 'whatever the <cloud storage provider> ... provides'?

OK, so I have 20Mbs upstream from home (call it 2MBs). I make that 0.17TB per day continuous throughput.

If I can get that 99% of the time as a consumer ... now or later in the day ... then I'm happy with the Office 365 subscription.

What are you offering with OneDrive Microsoft?  'Windows as a Service' was YOUR IDEA.

... and how about putting that in a document, not an EU(end user)LA, but a PLC - a Provider Level Commitment?

Yes, it's basically whatever the storage provider and your bandwidth can provide. We do plan on implementing throttling later (in part because it's not exactly straightforward). 

We (Covecube/StableBit) don't provide the accounts, but just a way to use them. We've discussed offering (reselling) storage, but even if we were, it's not goign to be in the immediate future (we want to "finish" up with StableBit CloudDrive before doing anything else, really).

I tested OneDrive throughput in an amateurish way yesterday afternoon:

- UK ISP BT Infinity product

- 80Mbs down 20Mbs up in theory

- in practise 60-17Mbs since I am only 30m from the fibre street cabinet

- copied 4GB video file into my OneDrive folder on Windows i.e. not using CloudDrive, just Explorer

- 100 minutes to upload

- opened another machine with the same account ...

- ... 50 minutes to download and sync

- repeated 3 times using cabled and wireless connections, same throughput with little else going on other than browsing

Not very inspiring ... but no throttling.

So it looks like I could do 10GB a day easily ... or 3.65 TB a year ... which is good enough for me.

Not horrible, but not great either. 

JackoUK

Some movement yesterday from Microsoft on the OneDrive for Business front, I see.

I think the code word for MSFT's release strategy should be GLACIER.

I've tried to see what bandwidth others are experienced by posting here:

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/office-365/6412/microsoft-finally-ships-improved-onedrive-for-business-sync-client-for-windows-and-mac​

Interesting the figure from the guy with fibre broadband!

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

Tried another upload test ... moved my 4GB video file 6 times in about 15 hours.

So 20GB a day up seems possible.

That's 6TB a year ... more than enough for me.

Repeating a point I made elsewhere wrt backup for home users ...

... I'm not looking at the problem of storage as 'I have a 5TB database which has crashed and my business will fold if it isn't back in 1 day'.

I have collections of separate images, music and video files ... not a monolith.

If in a home situation the worst case scenario is that I have to wait an hour to watch a video .. .then hey its me at home, not the end of my livelihood.

I only ever look at about 2% of my collection in a year anyways!

The other thing is that OneDrive storage is presumably on enterprise grade kit, in Windows clusters using ReFS, 72-bay Storage Spaces enclosures with high column counts: a tad more secure than my amateur efforts!!

Edited by JackoUK

Jason

I just discovered SB CloudDrive and started my Amazon Prime CloudDrive 3-month trial.  SB CD is connected to my Amazon account.  I currently use CrashPlan on my WSE12R2 box to backup critical data to the CP "cloud" from my home server.

However, I'd like to test SB CD as a secondard cloud backup similar to CrashPlan (may replace CP if it goes well even).  I wasn't sure how others have gone about doing this with the SB CD app.  Was going to create a 10 TB cloud drive.  My Amazon CloudDrive account is unlimited.  But wasn't sure how to properly enable the SB CD encryption and go about doing this.

My bandwidth is unlimited at 50/10 Mpbs.  Business class ISP.

JackoUK

Amazon CloudDrive unlimited ... that would just be for photos, right?

Jason

No, it appears to be photos, videos and other data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackoUK

Under Pricing

"Prime now includes free storage in Amazon Cloud Drive for your entire photo collection. Enjoy secure photo storage, automatic photo and video backup, and anywhere access with Cloud Drive.​"

1. Photos free.

2. Video just backed up (and made to look like it might be free by juxtaposition).

3. Other data - just accessible.

Jason

My plan is Amazon Cloud Drive Unlimited Everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk