RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Drashna Jaelre

StableBit CloudDrive

Trig0r

Just read the page for it on the website, looks good...

• Like 1

Trig0r

Beta on...

• Like 1

Trig0r

Is there a manual/guide for this, had a quick poke on the site but cant see anything..

Want to set the clouddrive as a target for duplication data to go to but without adding the drive to the pool so when the balance rules kick in it sends other stuff I dont want to the clouddrive...

ie, photo's folder on drivepool goes to the cloud as well as being locally duplicated..

Poppapete

Can I use onedrive personal or only onedrive professional?

Drashna Jaelre

Is there a manual/guide for this, had a quick poke on the site but cant see anything..

Want to set the clouddrive as a target for duplication data to go to but without adding the drive to the pool so when the balance rules kick in it sends other stuff I dont want to the clouddrive...

ie, photo's folder on drivepool goes to the cloud as well as being locally duplicated..

https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive

It's a rather basic manual (but it's rather simple for the most part). 

Alex is planning on doing write ups for a lot of the technical stuff (as there is a lot that can be tweaked when it comes to the settings).

As for the balancing thing, you can do that some of that with the File Placement Rules (in fact, that's a huge part of why it was developed, in prep for StableBit CloudDrive!).

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement

Also, the next feature we want to add to StableBit DrivePool is "Duplication Grouping", so that you can specify a specific drive or drives to get a copy of duplication. You may see why this would be great for StableBit CloudDrive integration/synergy (if you don't: specify the CloudDrive as one group, and specify the local disks as another).

Can I use onedrive personal or only onedrive professional?

Right now, we only recommend OneDrive for Businesses, and not the normal "OneDrive" for consumers/personal use.  

This is linked in the original post: http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1222-there-is-no-onedrive-provider/

Namely, OneDrive is sooo horribly throttled, that it's nigh unusable for StableBit CloudDrive. 

It's disabled and hidden by default, but it can be enabled if your curious about how bad it is:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings#ProviderRegistry

Set "ProviderRegistry_IncludeExperimental" to "True" to enable it and reboot.

However, if Microsoft "fixes" OneDrive, we will happily enable it by default.

Trig0r

https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive

It's a rather basic manual (but it's rather simple for the most part). 

Alex is planning on doing write ups for a lot of the technical stuff (as there is a lot that can be tweaked when it comes to the settings).

As for the balancing thing, you can do that some of that with the File Placement Rules (in fact, that's a huge part of why it was developed, in prep for StableBit CloudDrive!).

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement

Also, the next feature we want to add to StableBit DrivePool is "Duplication Grouping", so that you can specify a specific drive or drives to get a copy of duplication. You may see why this would be great for StableBit CloudDrive integration/synergy (if you don't: specify the CloudDrive as one group, and specify the local disks as another).

Cheers chap,

Duplication grouping sounds spot on as well, you could have a USB drive or soemthing that is part of that group, then duplication data can easily be remove from site by pulling the drive.

I'm sure you guys are all over it and will have some feature or setting where a "hot" drive can be part of a duplication group where you can supress errors for a specific drive so when said drive is pulled the rest of the system carries on as normal and then re-duplicates when the drive is reconnected, perhaps also some level of drive priority where the above "hot" drive will be duplicated first so if it is pulled it has the most up to date data before the other static local drives..

JackoUK

Sounds like a winner to me ...

... but ...

... although I agree with the decision not to include consumer OneDrive for the time being, it is essential.

After yesterday's announcement of B2 by Backblaze, undercutting Amazon by a factor of 4, they ought to figure soon too.

B2 is £3 per TB per month, so £36 per TB per year.

An Office 365 personal subscription is £60 per year, or £5 per month ... for unlimited TB.

OK, unlimited as in OneDrive doesn't work properly yet and with severe throttling (cue advertising standards investigation).

Since Microsoft is boasting 'Windows as a Service' these days, maybe we ought to choke a Service Level Agreement out of them!!

I'd be grateful if you have any more information on the throttling (other than the delay of an hour once over the limit)

e.g. how much before you get throttled? is it by account or IP address?

I'm thinking of running a 3-way with Cloudrive, B2 and consumer OneDrive ... after Windows 10 TH2 has been released with the new version of OneDrive.

Moreover in 5 years time I'm thinking of shutting my home data storage servers down and using cloud alone.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

While I think all global corporations, like Microsoft (and VW, ouch) deserve to be kicked from pillar to post ...

... I do have my charitable moments :-) 

From Paul Thurrott's blog about a special offer for Office 365 today ...

“I want to highlight a very cool offer from the Office team,” Myerson writes. “If you upgrade to Windows 10 and have Office 2010 or earlier, you can get a 50 percent discount on a one-year subscription to Office 365 Personal through the pre-installed Get Office app.”
OneDrive cloud storage. Office 365 Personal subscribers get 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage, in addition to the 15 GB that everyone gets for free. (In late 2015, this will change to unlimited storage.)

So I'm thinking that the throttling is in part a sneaky cost control mechanism on Microsoft's part ... but also that the limit is necessary because MS haven't actually built out their cloud storage and networking bandwidth enough yet to match their installed base. As new datacentres come online the throttling may be reduced.

Maybe some of you insider MVP's can give us consumer Windows Insiders a steer here ;-)

Despite my distrust of Microsoft ... I really would like Office 365 and OneDrive to succeed. But Microsoft never seem to finish a stable storage product :-(

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

So about that Service Level Agreement for <a cloud storage provider>, what do we need?

- availability figures (assuming the customer internet connection is functioning properly)

- bandwidth: how much data per unit period of time

- volume: 1TB, 10TB, ... unlimited

- contingency for failure of main system

Has CoveCube been considering these factors ... or is it 'whatever the <cloud storage provider> ... provides'?

OK, so I have 20Mbs upstream from home (call it 2MBs). I make that 0.17TB per day continuous throughput.

If I can get that 99% of the time as a consumer ... now or later in the day ... then I'm happy with the Office 365 subscription.

What are you offering with OneDrive Microsoft?  'Windows as a Service' was YOUR IDEA.

... and how about putting that in a document, not an EU(end user)LA, but a PLC - a Provider Level Commitment?

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

I tested OneDrive throughput in an amateurish way yesterday afternoon:

- UK ISP BT Infinity product

- 80Mbs down 20Mbs up in theory

- in practise 60-17Mbs since I am only 30m from the fibre street cabinet

- copied 4GB video file into my OneDrive folder on Windows i.e. not using CloudDrive, just Explorer

- 100 minutes to upload

- opened another machine with the same account ...

- ... 50 minutes to download and sync

- repeated 3 times using cabled and wireless connections, same throughput with little else going on other than browsing

Not very inspiring ... but no throttling.

So it looks like I could do 10GB a day easily ... or 3.65 TB a year ... which is good enough for me.