RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Drashna Jaelre

StableBit CloudDrive

Drashna Jaelre

I know I've hinted and teased about it here and elsewhere, but we've finally got a public beta build out of StableBit CloudDrive.

This is a beta product, and there may be issues with it. 

What it Does
  • StableBit CloudDrive creates a new virtual drive on your PC that stores its data in the cloud.
  • You can optionally encrypt your entire cloud drive with a key that only you know for trust no one full drive encryption.
  • StableBit CloudDrive learns which data you access most frequently and stores that data in a cache on one of your local drives for quicker access.
  • Shows up as a real, physical drive (this means it can be added to a pool, and it has full VSS support)

To clarify, we store the raw data for the drive on the Cloud provider of your choice (we do have a limited selection at the moment, but we are definitely looking to expand that list).
This means that no, you can't move existing data on your cloud storage into the CloudDrive.  However, we hope that the features present will more than offset that disadvantage!

The current providers we support:
  • Amazon Cloud Drive
  • Dropbox
  • Box
  • Amazon S3
  • Microsoft Azure Storage
  • Google Cloud Storage
  • Microsoft OneDrive for Business
  • Local Disks
  • Network Shares
We do support OneDrive, but because it is severely throttled, it's practically unusable. There is a setting to enable this, if you must have it: "There is no OneDrive Provider?" (post to Covecube forum) 

You can get more details here:

Additionally, there is a small discount for "pre-ordering" a license. However, there is no obligation to do so. There is the standard 30 day, fully featured trial (and this trial period is reset upon upgrading if there is another major beta build released, as well). 
  • Like 2

GotNoTime

Ooo. Nice! It looks like it has a lot of features. I'll have to give this a go. I've always had issues with the sync tools that the various providers use.

Joe_Miner

Nice, this is very interesting!  Hope to hear more in the future!!

Drashna Jaelre

Ooo. Nice! It looks like it has a lot of features. I'll have to give this a go. I've always had issues with the sync tools that the various providers use.

Well, we're using the officially published API for these Cloud Providers, so they should work properly.

We've also introduced a lot of error handling to ensure that data is properly cached (and prefetched even) and uploads are reattempted if there is any issues. 

However, this definitely isn't like all of the sync tools out there. This creates a group of files in a proprietary format that stores the raw data (encrypted or not) on the Cloud Provider.  

The importance of this?  It's a block level disk, which is why VSS and other tools should work on this without any issues.

Nice, this is very interesting!  Hope to hear more in the future!!

Well, as for interesting, you can add the volumes to the pool. And that's part of why we added the "File Placement Rules" feature to StableBit DrivePool. So you can control what files end up on which volume (aka, which Cloud Provider).  

And if you couldn't tell, I'm very excited about StableBit CloudDrive personally. It's been in development for a long while now, and it is really neat!

Trig0r

Could you, in theory if you have enough cloud space assign the drive as part of your pool and use is as a duplication target, so all of your data thats part of your pool that's important enough to be duplicated gets fired into the cloud?

Dave

This looks great and I can't wait to try it out.  The only thing I don't like is if you have data already in the cloud it can't be included.  Although, I totally understand why.  Also, OneDrive!  I've ran into issues with it and Otixo.com. OneDrive does not play nicely in cloud to cloud transfers.

Pre-Order today guys and save $5. It's $34.95 now.  Pre-Order Link  (Affiliate Link, Support HSS Forums!)

Drashna Jaelre

Could you, in theory if you have enough cloud space assign the drive as part of your pool and use is as a duplication target, so all of your data thats part of your pool that's important enough to be duplicated gets fired into the cloud?

Yes. Precisely.

And we plan on introducing "Duplication Groups" into StableBit DrivePool in the future to help facilitate this (eg, so that one copy is in the cloud and the other is local)

This looks great and I can't wait to try it out.  The only thing I don't like is if you have data already in the cloud it can't be included.  Although, I totally understand why.  Also, OneDrive!  I've ran into issues with it and Otixo.com. OneDrive does not play nicely in cloud to cloud transfers.

Pre-Order today guys and save $5. It's $34.95 now.  Pre-Order Link  (Affiliate Link, Support HSS Forums!)

:)

OneDrive doesn't play well with high speeds. It's throttled pretty aggressively, unfortunately.  To the point that it's almost not usable, which is why it's disabled and hidden by default.

oj88

Is it a standalone product or does it require you to have DrivePool pre-installed?

Trig0r

Yes. Precisely.

And we plan on introducing "Duplication Groups" into StableBit DrivePool in the future to help facilitate this (eg, so that one copy is in the cloud and the other is local)

Sweet, I'll be up for some of that then...

Fancy tying it into FTP servers as well?

Drashna Jaelre

Is it a standalone product or does it require you to have DrivePool pre-installed?

Stand alone.  No need to have StableBit DrivePool. 

Though... here's the fun bit, you could create a CloudDrive on a pool (using the "Local Disk" Provider) and get a nice, large disk that way (which you can resize later to expand).  And this drive WILL support VSS and Server Backup. 

And ... well, I'd say use the SSD Optimizer balancer to boost speeds, but I think you'd be better off setting up a dedicated SSD for the cache. That way, you could end up seeing some phenomenal read and write speeds.

Sweet, I'll be up for some of that then...

Fancy tying it into FTP servers as well?

Glad to hear it! :)

And yeah, that's one of the ones we had discussed, but hadn't implemented yet. 

And in case you're curious, we have a list of requested providers here:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1225-why-isnt-xxxxx-provider-available/

• Like 1