RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VM hard drive at 25% healthy, need to replace it

Mac

Win 8.1 host with hyper-v enabled, 2 Vm's on stand alone hard drive that has aged respectively, drive status shows 25 % healthy, I ordered 4 new pulls and need to move both 2012 R2 Ess Trial and Win Server TP Trial to 1 of the new hd's.

newby to hv setup and use, can I just use the hv manager to move the vm's to a 2 tb hard drive temporally , install the new 80 gb drive then move them to the new drive ?

using a Norco 4220 case so just std 3.5 hd's for vm and storage, os on an 120 gb ssd.

Clone the drive. Should be as simple as cloning it, and swapping it out.

Or if you're backing up the system, restore to the new drive and swap out.

Also, I'm guessing your using HD Sentinel, based on the .... "health" status.  What SMART errors are you seeing on the drive specifically?

The drive is a WD-WD740GD, its @ 7 years old 10.000 rpm Raptor 1.5Gb/s showing 190 Reallocation event count, Flags: Self Preserving. event count, statistical, critical. and yes HD sen,

got 2 of em, the other is @ 83% healthy, its time to retire em.

don't have cloning software installed, guess I could use a usb stick to clone the drive.

Well, do you have a backup of the system at all?

If so, then restoring from that may be easiest. 
If not... the "wbadmin" command is very robust and may work to create a backup for you. 

And yeah, Reallocated sectors can indicate an issue, and can degrade performance. But 7 years is a good, long life for that drive!

I have a system backup of the OS drive but not of that drive, my VM's are on an independent drive by their self, I could copy the drive to another Or move the Vm's, cmd isn't something I use much at all, not against it if need be but unsure of what cmd's need to be run, drives will arrive on Monday and will start next week, not in a hurry just wana be prepared when the time comes,

been good drives just getting long in the tooth.

thanks for any help u could provide Drashna.

Well, for the wbadmin stuff:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:X:\ -include:Y: -quiet

This will backup drive "Y:\" to drive "X:\", and do so without a bunch of prompts.

Restoring is a bit more difficult. First, run

wbadmin get versions

Note the version that you want. 

Then run:

wbadmin start recovery -version:<version ID from above> -itemType:Volume -items:Y: -RecoveryTarget:Z:

At least, I believe this is correct, as I've not had a chance to run the recovery for something like this yet. (MSDN indicates that this is correct, at least.

wbadmin completed the backup but I wasn't able to restore, ran otta time so 'copy to' was used, had to delete 2012 r2 ess and recreate the vm in h-v manager and all is well.

cmd is on my 'Rarely Used' list, intrigued but unsuccessful most of the time !