RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Startech mount for ssd in odd

Riz

No, thats for a standard 5.25" bay which the Gen8 doesnt have..

I'm going down the SD route early next year next time I rebuild and put an ssd down the side and have the ODD on a USB/mSATA cable..

Hello Riz,

I like many others initially fitted the ssd in the odd bay using self adhesive Velcro . There is nothing wrong with this method and the drive was secure enough, but I wanted something more professional looking.

I bought an ood caddy from ebay ;  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181716887046.  This particular caddy came complete with a black bezel most I have seen are not supplied with a bezel.

it cost £6.49 delivered and the seller despatched it immediately. It fits very snugly in the Gen8, You simply pop out the existing Gen8 odd bay cover and this caddy slides in from the front.  

You will need a slimline sata to sata adapter to connect to the rear of the caddy, I have seen these from £2 to £5   and also a 3.5" to sata power connector, Maplins have these in the UK, they were selling these off for £1 each when I bought mine.

Hope that helps

• 4 months later...

Hello Riz,

I like many others initially fitted the ssd in the odd bay using self adhesive Velcro . There is nothing wrong with this method and the drive was secure enough, but I wanted something more professional looking.

I bought an ood caddy from ebay ;  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181716887046.  This particular caddy came complete with a black bezel most I have seen are not supplied with a bezel.

it cost £6.49 delivered and the seller despatched it immediately. It fits very snugly in the Gen8, You simply pop out the existing Gen8 odd bay cover and this caddy slides in from the front.  

You will need a slimline sata to sata adapter to connect to the rear of the caddy, I have seen these from £2 to £5   and also a 3.5" to sata power connector, Maplins have these in the UK, they were selling these off for £1 each when I bought mine.

Hope that helps

If I have this and a floppy-to-sata power cable, is this all I need? Will I still need that HP ODD bracket/latch thing (532475-001) or similar?

If you have the very items i listed in my post along with a standard sata cable, you have everything you need. You can use the HP ODD latch but it is rather expensive for what it is. I found that its not really needed as the caddy tray is a nice snug fit and in no danger of coming loose. I have two Microservers both fitted with this setup without any problems.

Ahh, forgot about your latches schoondoggy, far more reasonable than the hp version. But for some reason I assumed the poster was here in the UK where shipping from the USA would be prohibitive for just the latch.

Yes haha, any free shipping codes? ;-)

I would have ordered one if I was gonna get the drive mount but on its own I'd prob be better off finding one locally.