RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Device Manager - Unknown Device - tap0901

OctavianH

Hi all,

Does anyone know what is this device not recognized in Device Manager? I tried to find a driver without success. It appeared recently, because as far as I remember it was not shown last time I checked.

tap0901.jpg

Its the OpenVPN TAP device. It isn't a physical device. Its just software but it seems you've uninstalled OpenVPN before removing the driver somehow.

Nope, I haven't done that. I have a Windows Server 2012R2 and I just added some extra RAM. After that I rebooted and tried to update firmware using Intellingent Profivisioning. Well, in that case should I disable / unistall it?

If you've never installed OpenVPN then I've no idea what that device is. That specific name is the TAP driver from OpenVPN though so it is strange.

I have never installed it. I just installed Windows Server 2012 R2 using Intelligent Provisioning. Today I found that I have an unknown device in Device Manager and I tried to identify it and find the proper driver.

Another possibility  looks to be a VirtualBox "host only ethernet adapter".

Running VirtualBox here?

If not .... if you're using some sort of activation hack, it may be using openVPN as part of it...

No, just windows server with FTP role at the moment. I wait to receive my Xeon 1265L V2 to upgrade the CPU and put an ESXi there.... this is why I do not really use it with many features. Windows server on evaluation mode for some FTP access to my data. So clean install and still this unknown device appearing here.

I think so. I am at another location and at the moment I have only TeamViewer access, so iLO access is not so easy. I have a VPN but it does not work at the moment... hell knows why.