RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Having all kinds of WHS funky-ness - Please Help!

wonderrx

Thanks for all of your help in the past first off.

I am about 2 to 3 years in on this install. 

Things have been running really strong since I replaced a hard drive last year, but this past week a bunch of my automated file syncs hung and were moving really slow.

I logged into the WHS console and saw red warnings about hard drives missing (2 of the 4 data drives). 2 of them are drives less than 18 months old (4TB seagate drives)

It took me about 5 restarts and a bunch of plugging/unplugging but finally the system came up and seemed to be OK.

Then the following day I started getting computer monitoring errors and then the dreaded backup system not running. Then errors about built in folders missing.

The harddrives continue to show up as I would hope, but the server definitely is not working right, my nightly file syncs are failing/creeping along.

WHS won't restart/shutdown, it hangs.

Before the last reboot my StableBit DrivePool said empty, woudln't load at all, just a blank pane saying empty. Now I am at least getting some of the icons but it says starting service (60 minutes at this point)

Went into event viewer in system and see a lot of warnings event id 57 (2) NTFS The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Anyone have any suggestions I can try? Some kind of hard drive test? Full system wipe/reinstall?

Since this seems to be a StableBit DrivePool related issue, would you mind opening a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contactif you haven't already?

Specifically, could you do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Just steps #6-8?

Also, to make sure, are all the drives showing up in Disk Management (run "diskmgmt.msc")?

All drives are showing up, installed Stablebit Smart Scanner program.

This is what it came back with, do these drives maybe just need a chkdsk?

• ST4000DM000-1F2168 ATA Device - 3 warnings
    • There are currently 913 reallocated sectors on the hard disk. A reallocated sector is created when a sector cannot be read or written to. In such a case, the next time the sector is written to it is swapped in for a good one from the spare sector pool. Having reallocated sectors decrease read/write performance and indicates drive trouble.
    • These are currently 19 unstable sectors on the hard disk. An unstable sector is a sector that can't be read. The drive will automatically swap the bad sector for a good one whenever new data is written to it, however, the original data may be lost.
    • These are currently 19 uncorrectable sectors on the hard disk. An uncorrectable sector is counted when the drive cannot read or write to a sector. This can indicate mechanical drive trouble.
  • ST32000542AS ATA Device - 3 warnings
    • There are currently 913 reallocated sectors on the hard disk. A reallocated sector is created when a sector cannot be read or written to. In such a case, the next time the sector is written to it is swapped in for a good one from the spare sector pool. Having reallocated sectors decrease read/write performance and indicates drive trouble.
    • These are currently 19 unstable sectors on the hard disk. An unstable sector is a sector that can't be read. The drive will automatically swap the bad sector for a good one whenever new data is written to it, however, the original data may be lost.
    • These are currently 19 uncorrectable sectors on the hard disk. An uncorrectable sector is counted when the drive cannot read or write to a sector. This can indicate mechanical drive trouble.

A chkdsk pass may help, but I've had several drives show the same behavor.  In my experience, the drive either becomes very unstable or it outright fails. 

I would replace both of these disks if they're still under warranty.

Also, when the surface scan completes, you may see the same number of damaged sectors.

Also, are both of these drives on the same controller? And on a Silicon Images controller, by chance?

A chkdsk pass may help, but I've had several drives show the same behavor.  In my experience, the drive either becomes very unstable or it outright fails. 

I would replace both of these disks if they're still under warranty.

Also, when the surface scan completes, you may see the same number of damaged sectors.

Also, are both of these drives on the same controller? And on a Silicon Images controller, by chance?

Yes all are on the on board MOBO SATA controller. Where do I check in the system to see if they are SI? I scanned through the device manager but didn't see any brand names. It's an AMD machine

Then it's no a SI controller.

As for where to check, either in device manager or in the motherboard specs (documentation). 

The reason I asked was because it's odd that both disks would have the exact same errors, so it may be improperly reading the SMART data here.

Could you open the "SMART Details" for one of the drives, and check the "submit to bitflock" option, and let me know what the ID is that it generates? This way "we" can verify that it's the correct data for both drives?