RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD in ODD Questions

amunchy

Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether someone can guide me in the right direction, as I need help with the following two queries:

1. For the 9.5mm caddy, where do I get the faceplate/bezal from?

2. The caddy feels like it will rattle around, is there a suggestion on how to keep it in place?

Much appreciated.

I assume you have bought an laptop ODD to 2.5" drive caddy.  I bought one of these here in the UK at just over £6 inc delivery, this particular caddy came with a dummy black dvd bezel already attached.

The caddy itself fits quite snugly in my Microserver, it certainly doesn't rattle around and when fitted it looks well. I would have preferred a plain black bezel however, i.e  without the dvd etc stencilling on it .

You could purchase the HP ODD bracket which would fix the caddy securely using the HP quick release catch built into the Gen8, I considered this myself, but this is quite expensive for what it is. 

I initially had my boot ssd fitted in the ODD bay and secured with self adhesive Velcro. This functioned  just as well as the ODD caddy, but seeing as I picked the caddy up for only £6 it looks a better job.

I already had a couple of spare 3.5" floppy to sata power connector's  but I had to purchase a 'slimline sata to sata'  adapter for the caddy. 

To be honest I would have liked the schoondoggy drive mount bracket to mount the ssd to the power supply but being UK based that wasn't an option

Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether someone can guide me in the right direction, as I need help with the following two queries:

1. For the 9.5mm caddy, where do I get the faceplate/bezal from?

2. The caddy feels like it will rattle around, is there a suggestion on how to keep it in place?

Much appreciated.

2. I make a clip to hold it in place SOC: http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-gen8-drive-bracket.html

I assume you have bought an laptop ODD to 2.5" drive caddy.  I bought one of these here in the UK at just over £6 inc delivery, this particular caddy came with a dummy black dvd bezel already attached.

The caddy itself fits quite snugly in my Microserver, it certainly doesn't rattle around and when fitted it looks well. I would have preferred a plain black bezel however, i.e  without the dvd etc stencilling on it .

You could purchase the HP ODD bracket which would fix the caddy securely using the HP quick release catch built into the Gen8, I considered this myself, but this is quite expensive for what it is. 

I initially had my boot ssd fitted in the ODD bay and secured with self adhesive Velcro. This functioned  just as well as the ODD caddy, but seeing as I picked the caddy up for only £6 it looks a better job.

I already had a couple of spare 3.5" floppy to sata power connector's  but I had to purchase a 'slimline sata to sata'  adapter for the caddy. 

To be honest I would have liked the schoondoggy drive mount bracket to mount the ssd to the power supply but being UK based that wasn't an option

I keep looking for a cheaper way to ship, but every time I find one they seem to have issues with customs. I was able to reduce the bracket cost on Rev2. I will keep trying to reduce shipping cost.

Well done with the ssd bracket schoondoggy, a real novel approach to mount the additional drives.

As you say Customs can be a pain, definitely here in the UK.