RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

advice on new build

jsc

Hi all,

I'm reading through the forum and the amount of information you shared and gathered is amazing. I seriously need to thank you!

I'm building my gen8 system and my idea would be running ESXi on the microSD or on the USB slot, either using the b210i and the internal HDD bays to create two independent arrays (bays 1+2 and 3+4) or investing in a P222 to use every slot at full speed (at raid 5 or possibly other combinations, but all of them at 6Gbps), with space for growth.

I'd use the gen8 primarily as storage/backup solution along as VM test bed (nothing too complex because of the 16GB RAM limit, but I'd still spin and test virtual load balancers/firewalls and related internal/external hosts). The only stable resident VM would be a FreeNAS or a similar distro.

Here the doubts/questions (so far): 

1 - Should I be worried about heating and the related fan speed/noise using a xeon 1230v2 ? In case I can load the microserver with a 1265L v2 as many others already did, but I wonder if the TDP difference matters really that much. Alas I'd like to avoid handling a platform that overheats or that sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

2 - would I have power issues installing the 1230v2, 4 disks (WD Red 3TB) and the P222? I guess I'd be at about 100W or so, but you probably know better...

3 - knowing that the bays 3 and 4 run at lower speed (3Gbps) would it be a horrible idea ditching the P222 or two array setup and just going straight with 4 disks in raid 10?

Thanks a lot!

If you add a P222 or any card in the Gen8 I would add a blower fan to move air. The area by the PCIe slot is kind of a dead zone for air flow.

As for RAID10 I would not worry about the performance hit of the two slower drive bays. SATA II speed is still faster than the sustained transfer rate of the average hard drive. If you were intending on using SSD's that would be a different story. If you go with RAID10 on the B120i and later upgrade to a P222, the P222 will pick up the RAID set and you could convert it to a RAID5. As for power, I think all of your configs would be OK. At the last meetup I was running 16GB, XEON 1220l V2, four 4TB drives in the bays, four 1TB 2.5" drives on a SDM, one SSD in the ODD bay and a OOD drive. It ran fine.  

• Like 1

If you add a P222 or any card in the Gen8 I would add a blower fan to move air. The area by the PCIe slot is kind of a dead zone for air flow.

As for RAID10 I would not worry about the performance hit of the two slower drive bays. SATA II speed is still faster than the sustained transfer rate of the average hard drive. If you were intending on using SSD's that would be a different story. If you go with RAID10 on the B120i and later upgrade to a P222, the P222 will pick up the RAID set and you could convert it to a RAID5. As for power, I think all of your configs would be OK. At the last meetup I was running 16GB, XEON 1220l V2, four 4TB drives in the bays, four 1TB 2.5" drives on a SDM, one SSD in the ODD bay and a OOD drive. It ran fine.  

Great, thanks a lot. Knowing that I can always upgrade the raid controller later without losing data/screwing up the array (if everything is done properly) is a nice thing.

Do you have any comment about the heat and related fan speed? Would it make sense canceling the order I placed for the 1230v2 and ordering the 1265Lv2 ?

I'd really like avoiding heating issues...

Thanks!

The sound of the four hard drives (WD 3Tb RED) completely overlaps the the noise from the main fan in chassis plus the fan on the processor, if U'll take quiet fan. So it looks to me with 1230v2 and Zalman CNPS2X.

• Like 1

The sound of the four hard drives (WD 3Tb RED) completely overlaps the the noise from the main fan in chassis plus the fan on the processor, if U'll take quiet fan. So it looks to me with 1230v2 and Zalman CNPS2X.

ok, what about heat? from what I read I shouldn't be worried, even spinning several demanding VMs, but I'd like to install that 1230v2 based on something more than my guess ;)

the 1230v2 is way above the standard TDP, and 20W more than the 1265Lv2

Regarding the heatsink: would standard low profile coolers fit or are the screw holes "custom" for this mobo? I didn't see many installing custom heatsinks. Most of the people adds fans to the standard passive cooler.

These, maybe:

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=442&area=en -

http://www.silentiumpc.com/infantis-lp812/

both would blow right into the HDDs though

Edited by jsc

U need to walk around forum :-) on every corner questions and answers about CPU and coolers :-)

for example this . The brackets holes must be machined to the center  ~1 mm.

So problem in main board... (thanks to HP)

Mount inscribed not in the square, but rectangle, therefore, very likely, it will be possible to use only 2 diagonal bracket.

Edited by AlexS

U need to walk around forum :-) on every corner questions and answers about CPU and coolers :-)

for example this .

So problem in main board... (thanks to HP)

Mount inscribed not in the square, but rectangle, therefore, very likely, it will be possible to use only 2 diagonal bracket.

I will read all the threads, thanks for the advice. and I will unbox the 1230v2 and use this one....if I run into issues I'll try to find someone to buy that, and move to the 1265Lv2

Thanks!

Others have run 69w CPU's in the Gen8. Monitor your CPU temp in iLO. If it is running hot, yuou can add fans to the factory heatsink or change the heatsink.

• Like 1

ok, I had an issue removing the temp sensor cable. the brown cable detatched from one pin. I can' find online pictures of the sensor so I don't know on which one it should be reconnected.

Do you have any schematic or picture of your cable ? red and black are ok. brown goes into two pins, and one is ok...the other is detatched -_-