RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do I temporarily move a hyperV machine ?

Trimble Epic

Guys,

I have a TS140 that I bought to build a new server (need to retire my WHSv.1) ...  I've been running the Eval version of WSE2012R2... It's been working fine.   And I have a Dreamspark legal copy of WSE2012R2 (AND WS2012R2 if need be) that I think I'm nearly ready to use...

But here's my problem... I've created a hyperV machine with windows 7 on it to run my Plex and a few other gaming servers (ventrilo, minecraft server, etc).  That machine is live, and I would rather move it to storage that rebuild it.

I have a Drobo NAS with plenty of space to store the VM temporarily...  I just need to move the VM off the eval 2012r2 box long enough to rebuild the 2012 box as new and then move the VM back.  How do I do that?  It wouldn't be a live migration or anything, just move it off the HD's in the TS140, rebuild, them move it back.  What are the files Ineed to get?  What are the Gotcha's I need to be aware of?  I really need to get this project moving again, It's been stalled for months now. :(

Trimble

Does that require another running hyper-V host to hold the VM while I reformat the drives of my WSE2012R2 machine?

I was hoping to just down the VM, copy it's files to my NAS temporarily, rebuild the server, then copy the files back, and bring the VM back up... I don't have another Hyper-V host to copy it TO while my server is being rebuilt...  (and the VM doesn't have to be up during the rebuild...)

Can't I just move the files off the HD so it doesn't get deleted when I reformat, then move it back?

Check the HyperV management console. There is an "export" option for the VMs. You can then import them later.

Also, why do you need to reinstall/reformat?

If you have a license, just use it to activate it in place with the DreamSpark product key.

Heh, to be honest, the real reason is because I've been running WSE as a test... I still want to test running straight up WS (not essentials) and see how differently that runs.  I have Dreamspark for both...   I was leary that WSE would limit me running hyper-V, but it doesn't seem to actually care.  I don't think it's kosher for me to run an win7 VM on WSE, but I also don't think it's kosher for me to run WS (not essentials) without the CAL's... so I'm kinda screwed either way... 

I seem to recall running into one area where WSE wouldn't let me do something that WS would do, but right now for the life of me I can't remember what it was... 

So, I wanted to install WS in test mode for a few weeks  before deciding which to go with..  The problem is that the Win7 VM seems to be humming along serving plex, vent, etc just fine, so I don't want to have to build it all over again :)

(hmm.. actually, now that I think of it, I have TWO kids in college, I think I could get a second DS license for each server... hmmm...)

Edited by Trimble Epic

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two OS's really.

There are some features that are limited by licensing (aka, not really enforced such as HyperV).

And there are some features that are missing (such as Data Deduplication, which CAN be hacked into Essentials! :) ).

But a point to make here, is that Standard gives you the full HyperV role to use how you want, plus two licenses of Standard for VMs.

Additionally, it gives you downgrade rights to Essentials. So you can run Standard as a host, and as a VM and then Essentials as a VM as well.

You install using the "eval" key for Essentials and activate with the Standard key, but the licensing allows this and more importantly DOES NOT REQUIRE CALs IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE. 

However, this really applies to a retail/OEM license, and may not apply to the DreamSpark/MSDN licenses. I'm not sure, yyou should contact DreakSpark about it.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I want to work on adding deduplication to essentials...   I found this post (http://richardjgreen.net/deduplication-in-windows-server-2012-essentials/)  but I'm not sure if it's current...   Anyone?  

edit:  I'm thinking I would need a different set of files for R2 ?  Does it still work for R2?  (clearly Drashna made it happen... so...  )

Edited by Trimble Epic

I move my VM's around all the time, export it to where you want to store it, then move it back to wherever else and import it, the only issues you might have are when you rebuild the box you are hosting from if you haven't set the HV network adapter with the same name, nothing 10 seconds in the machine config wont sort..

Oh, I should have posted an update about that... I solved that issue by changing my mind about keeping the same drive letter.  I installed the 1tb to D: and just used the MOVE command in hyper-v manager... I was able to move the VM without bringing it down.  So that's done.

Now i'm trying to work on adding deduplication.  Trying to research how to get that to work on 2012 R2 Essentials.   Question - does the Client Computer Backups folder already use a form of deduplication?

Edited by Trimble Epic

I just realized my post above is about my older issue with the VM's...  so what I said about the D drive and the move command didn't make any sense in context ... LOL   sorry