RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
colinw

Xeon E3-1265L v2 where to get one In the UK

colinw

Glad I could help, hope all turns out ok. I installed my E3-1220LV2 over the weekend, and all went / works ok. [/size]

Though (probably unrelated), I did have my server shutdown this morning with the "false" Critical Temp reached on temp sensor 4 error that I had just after getting the server, and had my motherboard replaced for at the beginning of the year, have had the error a few times since, but haven't been bothered to log it with HP as not happing very often, and think the last few times it has happed it may have been within 12-24 hours of doing something hardware related on the server (i.e powering it down, and physically moving it), but will if it gets worse. [/size]

I have ordered some artic silver 5 and cleaner as well ready for it.

So will pop it in when it arrives and hope I don't get any temp errors after that.

Thanks.

GotNoTime

I did have my server shutdown this morning with the "false" Critical Temp reached on temp sensor 4 error that I had just after getting the server, and had my motherboard replaced for at the beginning of the year, have had the error a few times since, but haven't been bothered to log it with HP as not happing very often, and think the last few times it has happed it may have been within 12-24 hours of doing something hardware related on the server (i.e powering it down, and physically moving it), but will if it gets worse.[/color]

Huh? Sensor 4 in iLO is the HD temperature sensor. It is just querying the temperature sensor built into modern HDs.

It isn't normal to have any overheating sensors triggering even occasionally. I've got a E3-1265Lv2 in my microserver and that has a higher TDP than your E3-1220L with no problems at all. The only overheating warning/shutdown I've ever had was related to the HP SA P222 RAID card which gets extremely hot and overheats if the case isn't on. The microserver itself has always been fine though.

iandrews

Yes, it's not anything to do with the CPU upgrade, I was getting it before, it's just it sometimes seems to happen after I have "fiddled" with the server. I got it several times after I got the server, and HP sent out a replacement motherboard to me, and that seemed to stop it for a while, but I have had it a few times recently. As you say, sensor 4 is the HD sensor, and whenever I look in ilo it always says 35c, so it's got to be a "false" reading.

colinw

My CPU has arrived  :)

iandrews

My CPU has arrived  :)

That's good to hear.

colinw

Hopefully the motherboard comes out from the rear easy, never done it before so hoping it's staight forward.

I will have a read up on how to do it with the links on here.

iandrews

Hopefully the motherboard comes out from the rear easy, never done it before so hoping it's staight forward.

I will have a read up on how to do it with the links on here.

Not too bad to do. Disconnect several cables from the motherboard (2 from one side, and 3 from the other if I remember correctly), and then slide out from the back. Undo the heat sink screws and lift it off (mine was a bit stuck so I had to use a bit of force to carefully prise it off), then flip the leaver to lift the cover holding the CPU, then remove CPU.

There is a service manual on the HP site. Not sure of this link will work: http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03783380-4.pdf

colinw

Ok thanks for that iandrews.

Can i just ask when screwing the heatsink back down do the screws get tightened as far as they go, so to the end of their travel, or do you have to judge it and just do a few turns of each screw so that the heatsink is tensioned, hope that makes sense. I just wnat to make sure the heatsink is properly mated with the cpu.

And did you put the heatsink paste on as a cross, or a thin spread across the whole cpu.

Thanks.

Trig0r

Thin spread over the CPU.

Don't just tighten each screw down as far as it will go and then move onto the next, do them bit by bit so you get a more even spread of CPU goop over the chip, as well as pulling the heatsink down evenly so theres less chance of breaking something..

iandrews

I did an X shape (I did that when I had to replace the motherboard a few months ago, and on removing the heatsink it looks like it had created a quite good even spread over the CPU). And also did as Trigor, do each screw a bit at a time (diagonal ones).