RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
colinw

Xeon E3-1265L v2 where to get one In the UK

OctavianH

I think that you can keep the stock cooler. As far as I know it works fine with only 10W more than the "stock".

snapper

Works fine with the stock cooler. 

I brought mine a few years back from Amazon. Wasn't cheap though.

You could try contacting sales people at Scan and Aria to see if they can source one for you. Have been helpful in the past to me.

I tried to sell my 1265LV2 before Xmas on eBay but it didn't sell so I ended up shelving my upgrade plans and buying a new Gen8 on the current cashback offer...

Edited by snapper

colinw

Yes i got my Gen8 on the cashback offer too. So it worked out only £120 after cashback, it was a no brainer.

So is your cpu still for sale or is it now in the Gen8 ?

Thanks

colinw

ok thanks for the link, so £230 then.

That's twice what i paid for the Gen 8  :D

snapper

So is your cpu still for sale or is it now in the Gen8 ?

At the moment its in my Gen8 - as I couldn't sell it, it was a shame not to use it as its a very capable CPU.

I'm waiting out for the Gen9 though - if it is similar form factor, have a VT-d capable CPU (or can be upgraded) and most importantly be 32gb+, its likely I'll upgrade and sell the 1265...

colinw

At the moment its in my Gen8 - as I couldn't sell it, it was a shame not to use it as its a very capable CPU.

I'm waiting out for the Gen9 though - if it is similar form factor, have a VT-d capable CPU (or can be upgraded) and most importantly be 32gb+, its likely I'll upgrade and sell the 1265...

Ok thanks for the update, i'll keep looking but i'm in no rush anyway, so keep me posted if you do decide at a later date.

Thanks.

colinw

ok i've bit the bullet and ordered a Xeon E3-1265L v2 from Amazon uk, 1 - 2 months delivery but i'm in no rush.

Anyone recommend a good thermal past to use, and how best to apply it please.

danielcollins90

ok i've bit the bullet and ordered a Xeon E3-1265L v2 from Amazon uk, 1 - 2 months delivery but i'm in no rush.

Anyone recommend a good thermal past to use, and how best to apply it please.

I use Arctic Silver and cleaned the surface with some alcohol and applied it with rubbish card from my wallet, spread even just enough to cover the surface.

colinw

I use Arctic Silver and cleaned the surface with some alcohol and applied it with rubbish card from my wallet, spread even just enough to cover the surface.

ok thanks for the tip.