RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Build - HP DC7900

RRanks

Hello,

I am building Windows Server 2012 R2 on a HP DC7900 Desktop. I have also purchased 4 x 1 TB SAS drives which I want to have in a Raid 5 array so that if 1 drive fails I can be replaced NP. Windows is install and I now want to add the array controller card.

I bought one of these but as soon as it is installed into the DC7900 I am unable to boot as I get stuck at a Memory Parity issue and also realised that there are no drivers to support windows 2012. So I have decided to move on and buy something more expensive..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAID-4-Port-3-0GB-s-Sil3124-SATA-II-PCI-Controller-Card-/221005017647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3374ecf22f

I am now looking at either of these 2 series but dont know which model to get...

http://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_rr272x.htm 

Which supports windows 2012

or

http://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/cs-series_rr2600.htm

Supports 2012 unknown..

My question is if anyone knows if the 2600 Series will work with windows 2012 and which one would suit my needs. If not which of the 2700 series will be best? I guess I only need 4 ports but 8 will allow for expansion.

Thanks much!!

RRanks

Ugh, the Silicon Image cards are crap. They're horrible (I mean, they need a file system filter as part of their driver, to help prevent data corruption ..... )

As for the cards, the RocketRAID 2720 series works on Server 2012 and up.

And the 2600 series does as well (it's listed under the drivers, at least).

Either are a good card to get, actually. 

That Sil3124 card is SATA only anyway so it wouldn't be usable even if it worked. A SATA controller can only talk to SATA drives. A SAS controller can talk to SAS and SATA drives.

A HP DC7900 is quite old. You'll want to put as much RAM as you can into it if you're running Windows Server.

The HP P410 with 512 cache makes a nice RAID5 controller. Only negative is SATA only runs at 3Gb/s.

ebay seems to have P410/512M/Battery for $60-$90.

The HP P410 with 512 cache makes a nice RAID5 controller. Only negative is SATA only runs at 3Gb/s.

ebay seems to have P410/512M/Battery for $60-$90.

Thanks for that, Sadly I am in the UK.. and nothing at that price available here.. 

I have now ordered HighPoint Rocket 2720SGL + cable Mini SAS -> 4 x SATA. I choose this one as it has an additonal mini sas internal port if I want to upgrade later I can simply get another cable and build another array :) the only things is the OLD DC7900 might start hurting though :P