RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 Quick Question'!

luckyfabian

I am going to get a 16gb USB stick to put the HP/VMware files on it to boot VMware..

My question IS....

How big of an SSD/root drive would I need? I plan on running more than one VM/OS at a later stage (win2012 volume license initially) 

How much of a benefit would a 500GB SSD have over a 250GB SSD?

Your help much appreciated...

Cheers,

Lucky

How big of an SSD/root drive would I need? I plan on running more than one VM/OS at a later stage (win2012 volume license initially) 

How much of a benefit would a 500GB SSD have over a 250GB SSD?

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on what you're doing with it and we've no idea what you'll be using your VMs for. The mundane answer is that the more space you have the better it is for future usage.

I just want to initially install Win2012... How much of a footprint would Win2012 take up on an SSD in its instance may I ask? 

From my understanding each OS would be an instance... 

I just want to initially install Win2012... How much of a footprint would Win2012 take up on an SSD in its instance may I ask?

32GB is the minimum according to Microsoft. What else you need extra will depend on what you're doing with the VM.

From my understanding each OS would be an instance...

Yes. ESXi doesn't do deduping internally so each VM will need a minimum of 32GB just for the OS.

Many thanks Mr GotNoTime!

So my understanding is for say Win2012 Server I would need a minimum space of 32GB on my SSD for one instance of Win2012 Server... got that... So maybe a 250GB SSD right now would be more financially conservative seeing as I only want to use Win2012 to teach myself Active Directory and basic sys admin on it... cool, thanks!

So my understanding is for say Win2012 Server I would need a minimum space of 32GB on my SSD for one instance of Win2012 Server.

Yes.

So maybe a 250GB SSD right now would be more financially conservative seeing as I only want to use Win2012 to teach myself Active Directory and basic sys admin on it...

If you're just doing it to learn Windows Server and don't intend to install anything large or store large amounts of data then a 250GB drive is fine. You can always define a larger virtual HD for the VMs that do have extra duties.

Hi there,

I've managed to install the SSD on the onboard SATA port, a 32gb usb drive with the relevant HP/VMware ISO and depot folder.

Have booted the Server for the first time, gone into Intelligent Provisioning and have located the VMware ISO on the USB key and click it to install and it blinks in acknowledgement and says "please wait whilst scanning" and then nothing else happens...

Where am I going wrong?

Your guidance as always, most appreciated...

Best Regards,

Lucky

To be honest, its quicker and easier to install ESXi without intelligent provisioning.

The quickest way I found was to download the HP ESXi ISO, use iLO virtual drive to point to the ISO and boot the installer using the remote console.

Then you can install ESXi onto the USB or SSD (I recommend using the internal USB as an installation point, with the SSD as a datastore only.)

If you don't have an iLO licence, you can go to the HP website and get a 60 day trial for free, or eBay have them for 20ish.

Hey Snapper, thanks for your reply on the Gen8 Forum... So you're saying download the trial license from HP for free, and then enter the license number they give within the ILO section on Intelligent Provisioning?

I think I'm with you here... So could I run a remote console window on my PC by connecting my network card within my PC to the ILO port with a network pass through cable or will a standard Cat5 cable work ok?

Would I define the Computer I connect to (within the Remote Console window) as the ILO hostname and the username as Administrator ?

Cheers!

Edited by luckyfabian

ok so I downloaded the license, got 25 digit code, now unsure of where to enter it and how to get the remote console window working... help  B)