RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Kingston 16GB KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G + G1610T

OctavianH

Hello all,

Can someone confirm me that the RAM memory KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G works with the Intel Celeron G1610T?

I will upgrade soon to Xeon 1265L V2 but I need to use it temporarily with the original CPU.

It is unbuffered and ECC, so normally should work, but I've seen some discussion regarding some types of memory which work depending on the CPU.

Thank you in advance!

Octavian

Hi,

I know it supports ECC, because I have an ECC module of 2GB at the moment. Just wanted to know if anyone tried this particular part number and had no problems.

Hi,

As far as I know there is little performance difference between 1333 / 1600, less than 1%. The 1333 CL9 seems a fine choice.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0064R7LH8

I know that the Xeon supports 1600 MHz but I thought it does not really matter. What advantages in performance I have with 1600MHz? No gaming on the Microserver, just file sever / backup and DLNA streaming. So, "home usage".

Maybe some ESXi in the future to have 2-3 VMs. I am really curious if someone made some tests with both frequencies.

Edited by OctavianH

As far as I know there is little performance difference between 1333 / 1600, less than 1%.

If you're actually buying new RAM then you might as well buy the faster RAM. The price for both types should be roughly the same anyway now.

As for the performance difference, you'll probably get about 2-3% difference at most in regular applications. However, if you're doing something that is extremely memory intensive then you'll see a much greater benefit.

You mentioned the E3-1265Lv2 in your original post and DLNA streaming. Be aware that Intel QuickSync doesn't work even if you have the Xeon with integrated graphics. It requires motherboard support which doesn't exist in the Gen8 Microserver.

• Like 1

For DLNA streaming I use a simple Serviio. The idea is to watch / listen movies and music on my devices at home. I have 2 smart TVs and a Naim mu-so (network player which supports flac and UpNp).

For DLNA streaming I use a simple Serviio. The idea is to watch / listen movies and music on my devices at home. I have 2 smart TVs and a Naim mu-so (network player which supports flac and UpNp).

QuickSync is a hardware video encoder/decoder inside the newer Intel CPUs with integrated graphics. Some software can use it to speed up transcoding when streaming so an appropriate bitrate + resolution is sent to the end devices. I've no idea if Serviio supports it or not but I thought I should mention it since it is one of the reasons for getting a E3-1265Lv2. Edited by GotNoTime

Thanks for this, I did not knew about it. I will check it and see. Serviio is very simple but reliable. I used it from my desktop in the past, but I found a MicroServer on a sale and decided to use it as my media and backup server. A really good toy to play with. I put 4 WD Red HDDs of 4TB in RAID 10 on it and a Corsair SSD in the ODD bay. Works perfectly.

I can confirm I am using the same memory as above in my G1610T and it's been running fine since being fitted.

The G8 has been on for the last three - four weeks no issues at all.

Hope that helps.