CPU 72.0 centigrade

Checked with SpeedFan and CPU fan speed is 0

Reboot and all is fine.

Fan Speed 965 RPM - CPU 38 C

CPU is i7 3770 Ivy Bridge with standard Intel Fan installed Dec 2012

So I should change the fan?

So I should use what brand?

I second Noctua fans.

Further, I'd check the spec sheet of the OEM fan and use a replacement with similar CFM figures. A slower fan will be quieter but if it doesn't provide enough airflow when the board thermal sensor asks for it, the processor might overheat. The assumption here is that you're replacing just the fan but reusing the OEM heatsink.

• Like 1

I'll second that.  CFM is really important, as well.  The higher you can go, the better. Just mind the dB rating (the higher, the louder... exponentially, IIRC)

The CPU fan has been going for 4 days now since reboot. I have SpeedFan open 24/7. I found the original Intel box and note that the CPU/Heatsink/Fan combo has a 3 year "limited" guarantee. To claim that I suppose I would have to take the lot out and return it!!?? No desktop for weeks possibly.  I also note that the Heatsink/Fan are not separate components.  You can't just replace the fan.

I too am a Noctua devotee. The 5 case fans in my desktop are Noctua PWM's controlled by Asus FanXpert.

As the whole box is nearing its end of life as my main desktop I guess I will buy a cheap heatsink suitable for the CPU and have it ready if/when the Intel stock one crashes totally. My experience tells me these troubles don,t just fix themselves.

You don't say what motherboard it is, but if its a Supermicro like your server, you may have issues with the fan controller getting upset with the lower RPM of the Noctua CPU fan.

I made an X10SL7 based ESXi server for a friend and found the fans would ramp up and down a lot - changing to stock CPU fan fixed it.

Long term fix was to put the Noctua CPU fan back in and have a small Centos VM that ran on boot issuing a IPMI command to change the CPU lower RPM threshold down to match the Noctua RPM - 10%.

You don't say what motherboard it is,

Asus P8Z77-V Premium. All the Fans are controlled by ASUS FanXpert 2.0

Only problem with a non Intel CPU Cooler is if will fit next to the GPU in PCiex slot 1

In the limited amount of research that I did, I find the Noctua NH-L9i to be the best replacement for the i7-3770 stock cooler. It's low profile and it occupies a very small space which means it will clear the nearby RAM modules and the PCI-e video card. Besides, the Compatibility page specifically indicated your board to be supported (http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=50&lng=en#LGA1155_Asus).

Even if this is one of Noctua's smaller coolers, I would think that it should still fare on par or slightly better than the stock cooler. However, it's NOT for overclocking.

Although, it was not specifically indicated to support your specific board, the slightly taller model, the NH-L9x65 might still fit to give you more thermal headroom.

In the limited amount of research that I did, I find the Noctua NH-L9i to be the best replacement for the i7-3770 stock cooler. It's low profile and it occupies a very small space which means it will clear the nearby RAM modules and the PCI-e video card. Besides, the Compatibility page specifically indicated your board to be supported (http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=50&lng=en#LGA1155_Asus).

Even if this is one of Noctua's smaller coolers, I would think that it should still fare on par or slightly better than the stock cooler. However, it's NOT for overclocking.

Although, it was not specifically indicated to support your specific board, the slightly taller model, the NH-L9x65 might still fit to give you more thermal headroom.

I'll second that.

I have one of these heatsinks on a ASRock RACK Mini-ITX motherboard in a Norco S4-ITX case (very close to 1U in clearance for the fan).  Plenty of room for the RAM and other components. 

Thanks. Noctua-LH-L9i is want I want. Guess I was too lazy to look thru the whole range. There is no great load on my CPU and I have never overclocked.

• Like 1