RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AT&T Pay as you Go

Dave

I had a crazy idea today. Pick up a used iphone 3GS and use it month-to-month until Win7Phone hits the streets. Recall that I just test the 3GS in my house and area and it worked OK.

Has anyone used AT&T pre-pay or pay as you go? I asked JoseROrtiz about it and he said it would work. Just don't tell them I have the phone.

I need a SIM card and of course need to find a trustworthy used phone. Anyone shoot holes in this idea?

Can't see why it wouldn't work - I've had my phone on T-Mobile To-Go for quite a little while now... let me know if you have any other questions.

HoFo (or any tech forums with a FS/FT section) will be your best for inexpensive options - CL even.

ah, you were talking about their gophone service. i though you were talking about their regular month-to-month plans. if i recall correctly, att discontinued the data option on their gophone plans a year or two ago. your best bet would be to signup for their regular plans, but go month-to-month instead of on contract. all you miss out on is the subsidy which won't matter since you are only getting a sim.

I tried the Go plan at the end of 2007. When I decided I wanted a data plan for my Tilt, the cheapest plan that I could have signed up for was going to cost me $75/month. The only way I could get that was by signing a 2 year contract. Needless to say, it was good-bye AT&T.

I went to T-Mobile, I got a data plan for $19.99/month; unlimited use and no contract. I added the $29.99 for 300 minutes/month voice plan, again, no contract.

Dave -

This used to work. I had a 2G phone that I unlocked (this was back when you could walk into a store and buy one... no contract... you took care of that at home... or you didn't :)

I just bought a Go-Phone and popped the SIM out. They even offered a data plan on a per month basis. Worked like a charm.

However, I have heard rumors that they are now able to detect (and looking for) people using regular smartphones on the pay-as-you-go network and shutting you down. I guess it can't hurt to try right? What's the downside - getting caught and losing $40-50 right? -EDIT- oh just noticed you said PICKING up a 3GS, I thought it said you already HAD a 3GS -EDITEND-

I'd be interested to hear if it works for you as I did keep one of the my 3Gs and may want to put in a Go-SIM some day...

Keith

I had a crazy idea today. Pick up a used iphone 3GS and use it month-to-month until Win7Phone hits the streets. Recall that I just test the 3GS in my house and area and it worked OK.

Has anyone used AT&T pre-pay or pay as you go? I asked JoseROrtiz about it and he said it would work. Just don't tell them I have the phone.

I need a SIM card and of course need to find a trustworthy used phone. Anyone shoot holes in this idea?

Edited by Jazman

I have a temporary Sprint phone in house. Argh, it works fine in my house. That throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing. I'm not real sure I would like the EVO. I certainly don't have 4G anywhere near. Anyone sporting this beast? Like it?

One of my co-workers has the Evo and likes it, he has not had the battery issues that others have complained about. My work phone is Sprint and I have no complaints except no data usage while talking. We have all you can eat plans, might be the time to get on a plan like this while they still offer it...

Dave -

This used to work. I had a 2G phone that I unlocked (this was back when you could walk into a store and buy one... no contract... you took care of that at home... or you didn't smile.gif

I just bought a Go-Phone and popped the SIM out. They even offered a data plan on a per month basis. Worked like a charm.

However, I have heard rumors that they are now able to detect (and looking for) people using regular smartphones on the pay-as-you-go network and shutting you down. I guess it can't hurt to try right? What's the downside - getting caught and losing $40-50 right? -EDIT- oh just noticed you said PICKING up a 3GS, I thought it said you already HAD a 3GS -EDITEND-

I'd be interested to hear if it works for you as I did keep one of the my 3Gs and may want to put in a Go-SIM some day...

Keith

If you get caught, you may have to pay the higher rate all the way back to when you started using the cheaper plan.