RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Error on non-listed hard drive

ServerRookie

I installed WS2012R2E on a consumer box with just one HDD and of course, the Dashboard displays a Warning alert 'One or more server folders are located on the system hard drive'. Frankly, this Warning alert does not bother me much, as I have Server Backup enabled (to an external USB drive).

More bothersome to me is that the Dashboard displays a Critical alert 'One or more server hard drives must be checked or errors' and the Details section says 'The following hard drives need to be checked for errors: SYSTEM_DRV'.

The strange thing is that under Dashboard > Storage > Hard Drives there is no hard drive listed with that name (SYSTEM_DRV). I did a 'Check and repair' on all the listed hard drives, but I obviously can't do a 'Check and repair' on a hard drive that is not listed.

The Critical alert may well be a false positive, as the WS2012R2E does work as I expected (so much so that I may keep the rig as is eventually), but I do want to know what is going on (rather than just dismissing the alerts).

Any sage advice?

SYSTEM_DRV is a partition and not a whole HD. It is the "System Reserved" partition you see in disk management. All recent Windows server + desktop versions create a hidden system partition for bootloader files, WRE and BitLocker.

As for scanning it, I've never needed to. If you do want to temporarily access it then you can do so with the undocumented mountvol /s command. The bodge that everybody recommends using diskpart isn't how you're supposed to do it.

What is the simplest way to substantiate that the Critical alert is a false positive?

I could use the GUI-based tools that WS2012R2E provides (Dashboard, Administrative Tools, Control Panel) but I would not use any CLI/Windows Powershell on my main hard disk (one typo and the box is dead).

What is the simplest way to substantiate that the Critical alert is a false positive?

It isn't a false positive. Windows thinks that partition wasn't cleanly unmounted at some point and therefore wants to do a scan. Chances are that everything is fine anyway but Windows won't be able to determine that until it has scanned it.

I could use the GUI-based tools that WS2012R2E provides (Dashboard, Administrative Tools, Control Panel) but I would not use any CLI/Windows Powershell on my main hard disk (one typo and the box is dead).

AFAIK you can't mount the system partitions using the standard GUI tools provided by Windows.

I found this link about mountvol /s on TechNet https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490934.aspx It appears to be meant for Itanium only, it may work for my x64, but I'd rather not do it. By and large, my WS2012R2E has been working fine for the past 5 months in the free trial, the only other outstanding issue is the client restore wizard crashing for W8.1 as everyone else experienced.

Thanks for the comments, it bolsters my confidence to live with the imperfection (that any product has) :)