RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS questions

jfreetrader

hello all, ive got a question about a rather large UPS.

i have an APC smart UPS 3000. for thos who dont know, its a rather large ups, intended to support a server rack.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA3000RM2U&total_watts=50

my question is about its power efficiency. I don’t plan on losing power that often, but that’s just it, you never know when something happens. If this UPS is sitting, powering my server, modem, router, and say 2 other misc items, is the UPS’s presence using ‘more’ power that if it was not there at all, or say a smaller UPS.

If it matters at all, I know I need to get a new set of batteries for it. I know they are bad or at least going, is that going to affect things at all?

thanks for your time,

Get yourself a Kill-A-Watt and check out the usage with and without the UPS.

But I would think that once the batteries are charged then it shouldn't draw much more.

Unless something is wrong with the batteries, (they should be tested every year or so) a UPS will not draw much more power than if it wasn't there. Sure, there will be some power loss, but not enough to out weigh the benefits you get from the UPS. We have short power outages where I live all the time and my UPS keeps everything running smooth. I try to put a UPS on everything I can where it make sense.

I would change the batteries and keep using it!

For what it is worth, I have the same UPS (from new) in my server room at work. It's supporting 2 x Dell 1800 servers, 3 x Netgear 48 way switches, CCTV HDD recorder, Avaya telephone switch, 2 x routers & an ISDN 30.

According to the display, this only uses @ 30% capacity.

As we are semi-rural, we do have power outs. This thing has saved our bacon several times.

Add up the power requirement for each piece of equipment , now look at the runtime the on your UPS graph. “The Graph is using new fully charges batteries”

The more loads you put on your UPS the shorted the run time. Batteries should be changed out every 3 to 4 years. Never put over a 80% load on your UPS. If you lose power 10 min, looking at graph, 2000 watt load would give you 5.9 Runtime mins. with new batteries to shutdown you equipment.

Ron

P.S My APC UPS’s tests it own batteries each mo.

Unless something is wrong with the batteries, (they should be tested every year or so) a UPS will not draw much more power than if it wasn't there. Sure, there will be some power loss, but not enough to out weigh the benefits you get from the UPS. We have short power outages where I live all the time and my UPS keeps everything running smooth. I try to put a UPS on everything I can where it make sense.

I would change the batteries and keep using it!

ouch, i guess i knew that was comming, but man thies batteries are pricy...

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=RBC43

i do have an extra bank of batteries that were ordered to replace the current ones i have, but they are the wrong size, they are made for some thicker model.

they were ordered a few years ago, before i aquired this UPS, got it for free too btw, so i dont know as much about it as i should

that being said, (and because you guys seem to know what your talking about) this big bertha also has, what seems to be a :

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP9618

im missing the probe to it, but its nice because it allows me to USB connect it to my server and the add-on (whos name escapes me, but for some reason 'curbside' comes to mind... huh...) picks up on it.

ive connected the rj45 to my network but im not sure how to view/connect to it.

anyhow, thanks for the speedy advice, and if you have any more, id love to hear it.

thx, jfreetrader

ouch, i guess i knew that was comming, but man thies batteries are pricy...

http://www.apc.com/r...?base_sku=RBC43

i do have an extra bank of batteries that were ordered to replace the current ones i have, but they are the wrong size, they are made for some thicker model.

they were ordered a few years ago, before i aquired this UPS, got it for free too btw, so i dont know as much about it as i should

that being said, (and because you guys seem to know what your talking about) this big bertha also has, what seems to be a :

http://www.apc.com/p...base_sku=AP9618

im missing the probe to it, but its nice because it allows me to USB connect it to my server and the add-on (whos name escapes me, but for some reason 'curbside' comes to mind... huh...) picks up on it.

ive connected the rj45 to my network but im not sure how to view/connect to it.

anyhow, thanks for the speedy advice, and if you have any more, id love to hear it.

thx, jfreetrader

You should be able to access the management card via a web browser. Just enter the ip address. The only problem may be that a previous user may have set a password. If the password is still default then it should be

User: apc

Password: apc

The Smart-UPS series of UPS units are less efficient than your desktop models such as the Back-UPS ES series. Any battery has a tendency to lose charge over time with some technologies performing better than others. With the added capacity in the 3000VA unit and the extra logic boards, your unit will draw a little more power especially under lower loads. As cool as it would be to have one of these, understand that they are more designed to support multiple rackmount servers with a higher draw than your average desktop. You could easily pick-up two Back-UPS ES series units for the same price as one replacement battery.