RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
muscleflex

What OS are you guys running in your Gen 8?

muscleflex

I use whs 2011 connected to TV for movies. I wanted to share files, backup my pc's and use sickbeard but also use it as a full blown pc on the TV. I retired my old n36l with the same setup but it still managed it fine so will give that to my sister as off site backup and she can watch films as well. Would like another one to use xpenology

This is how I have my N40L set up and being used. for movies.. How is the Gen 8 coping? better than your 36L?

I'm now wondering if I'm best off using Windows 8.1 instead of WHS2011 if I'm only using it for movies and such...

ESXi 6.0: HP Customized ESXi Image, vSphere 6.0 March 30, 2015:

• Debian 8.0
  • Zentyal 4.0
  • OpenMediaVault 1.9
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 Standarard

I think the best solution is ESXi because so you get a really flexible system.

Never heard of ESXi - sounds too complex!

tezray

This is how I have my N40L set up and being used. for movies.. How is the Gen 8 coping? better than your 36L?

I'm now wondering if I'm best off using Windows 8.1 instead of WHS2011 if I'm only using it for movies and such...

Never heard of ESXi - sounds too complex!

It is snappier in every way. I have joined the two nics together and see a difference in copying speed. I stayed with whs because I use raid 5 for my 4 drives and ssd for os drive. The ssd makes a massive difference as I tried a mechanical laptop drive first and couldn't bare waiting all the time. If I didn't want to backup the network pc's then I probably would use 8.1 but I prefer the server doing more as I leave it on 24/7 and share out films etc. main move for me was being able to use plex properly and the CPU in the old one would max out when watching a film and another process doing something in the back ground. The price it is at the moment from ebuyer sealed it for me got the £60 cash back yesterday so £120 upgrade I'm very happy with. Only big gripe is the 2gb ram wasn't enough so I added the 1gb that came with the n36l which is just getting me by but the price of the ram for the gen 8 is really annoying I need atleast one 8gb stick so I have 10gb but it's half the price of another server.

muscleflex

It is snappier in every way. I have joined the two nics together and see a difference in copying speed. I stayed with whs because I use raid 5 for my 4 drives and ssd for os drive. The ssd makes a massive difference as I tried a mechanical laptop drive first and couldn't bare waiting all the time. If I didn't want to backup the network pc's then I probably would use 8.1 but I prefer the server doing more as I leave it on 24/7 and share out films etc. main move for me was being able to use plex properly and the CPU in the old one would max out when watching a film and another process doing something in the back ground. The price it is at the moment from ebuyer sealed it for me got the £60 cash back yesterday so £120 upgrade I'm very happy with. Only big gripe is the 2gb ram wasn't enough so I added the 1gb that came with the n36l which is just getting me by but the price of the ram for the gen 8 is really annoying I need atleast one 8gb stick so I have 10gb but it's half the price of another server.

I might have to PM you some more as we have the same usage on the proliant and i might need to ask you for some tips.

I'm using a 120gb SSD for my OS (using the optical drive's sata and just placed on top as it doesn't get moved anyway so I didn't feel the need to secure or mount the ssd drive) and 4 x 1tb using drivepool as one drive but i only have around 200gb left so i need to think of upgrading my drives soon!

How do you mean when you said you joined 'both nics' together for more speed? how?

I've noticed you're in the UK as well. I got mine from Box and it arrived the next day using their 5 day free shipping (quite impressive with that one!) I've sent off my cashback form straight away when I placed my order so hopefully it'll get processed straight away.

I have a graphics card on my N40L that I'll be moving to the Gen 8 - I can't remember which one but it's the low profile one that everyone was recommending for the N40L

tezray

I have the 120gb ssd in the first caddy port because if you run it on the internal sata port you have to use the raid feature and make it raid 0 but I wanted to use ahci and for that to work you have to do a dodgy sd card mod which I didn't like so caddy port 1 was the best route. Then I had a problem getting it to see the USB stick to install whs on a 120gb ssd I played around loads and loads and the boot up time is so long on a gen 8 so I put the ssd in the old gen 7 and kicked off the install then at first boot put it back into the gen 8 and carried on. I only have 4x 500gb hard drives the downside is having to put one of them on the internal sata port and just hang it inside the case on the left. Someone has modded theirs by taking off the caddy 1 connector on the back plane and using it internal then routing the internal sata port 5 to the back plane but i am not that bothered as it never moves. I use a sapphire 5450 which works well but does raise the fans which I have not bothered to really look into yet as its in the front room TV or films drown it out anyway. It's a real pig of a server to get going at first until you find the right path to go down. I'm in the UK also. I connected both nics and bridged them together

muscleflex

This sounds too confusing! This is not an easy server to set up then compared to the N40L? I think i'm using a Corsair GT 120gb SSD in mine using the dvd drive sata connector.

This won't work in the Gen 8 then?

I've not opened my Gen 8 yet. too busy with other toys :)

I have the 120gb ssd in the first caddy port because if you run it on the internal sata port you have to use the raid feature and make it raid 0 but I wanted to use ahci and for that to work you have to do a dodgy sd card mod which I didn't like so caddy port 1 was the best route. Then I had a problem getting it to see the USB stick to install whs on a 120gb ssd I played around loads and loads and the boot up time is so long on a gen 8 so I put the ssd in the old gen 7 and kicked off the install then at first boot put it back into the gen 8 and carried on. I only have 4x 500gb hard drives the downside is having to put one of them on the internal sata port and just hang it inside the case on the left. Someone has modded theirs by taking off the caddy 1 connector on the back plane and using it internal then routing the internal sata port 5 to the back plane but i am not that bothered as it never moves. I use a sapphire 5450 which works well but does raise the fans which I have not bothered to really look into yet as its in the front room TV or films drown it out anyway. It's a real pig of a server to get going at first until you find the right path to go down. I'm in the UK also. I connected both nics and bridged them together

tezray

It will work just need to set the ssd to raid 0 or if you want to use ahci then you will need to put a micro sd card in with a hack. I wanted things simple and not to use the built in raid so used caddy 1 for my ssd.